[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Clean your throttle body
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Clean your throttle body

Postby udonoogen » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:24 pm

how could i screw up something so easy? i dunno! i must have mucked something up because after i reassembled everything, my key won't turn in the ignition. i looked inside my engine and it appears everything is back together properly... is there something i missed? why is my key not turning?

must get to work tomorrow ... so input would be appreciated!

EDIT: google did the trick ... i popped the cover off the little gear lock on the top of the shifter, shifted to reverse, moved my steering wheel a bit and then the lock released ... weird. :) but now its working!
udonoogen
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Nyyankees3511 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:59 pm

Hey guys i just took a look at my throttle body and man its like all slimey black. Im scared to let that crap get in my engine should i wipe it down first? Or just do as said here?
Nyyankees3511
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby bassthrive » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:37 am

Nyyankees3511 wrote:Hey guys i just took a look at my throttle body and man its like all slimey black. Im scared to let that crap get in my engine should i wipe it down first? Or just do as said here?

Just spray it down and soak up as much slime as you can. Having some run through the engine will not hurt, though it may make the car a little less willing to easily turn over when you are done.
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
cpe mafci / apexi ws / tein s-tech + tokico / trd rsb
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Postby Nyyankees3511 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:06 pm

Ok i just finished the car wouldnt start at first and it gave a funny smell. The only part we had to clean was after the butterfly right? My idle is higher too its one bar below 1000 is that normal?
Nyyankees3511
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby bassthrive » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:26 pm

smell, a little smoke and hard starting is normal. idle will level off.

clean all around the inside of the TB including the front and back of the butterfly valve. the toothbrush will come in handy for reaching past the TB into the upper intake plenum. you can also remove the ACIS for excellent access to a majority of the plenum unreachable via the throttle body. its a simple 4 bolt and 1 vac hose removal on the passenger side of the engine intake assembly. though not mentioned in the original tutorial, it is a noteworthy addition. the plenum gets quite nasty.
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Postby boneezy » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:50 pm

just did mine sunday, really a night and day diffrence.. my car pulls so much harder now. i even raced a buddy of mine from a roll (explained in race section) and tore him up.. my midrange pulls so muhc harder and my intake raelly sings. definitely worth the effort
1999 SE-V6 5spd
160,xxx miles
boneezy
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Akfahad » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:22 pm

i know this post is old, but just wanted to say i just did mine and it really is like night and day. Sprayed that stuff all over, in and out...it looks ten times better. A little hard of a start, but it's to be expected.
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby crispone » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:28 pm

Interesting thread.... just happened upon it today since it popped back up.

I noticed several things "missing" based on my various mechanical tinkerings over the years, and in the event someone might benefit from it, or is finding this thread for the first time themselves, I would be remiss not to mention the following:

- GOOD IDEA TO "WIPE" HEAVY DEPOSITS WITH CLEANER SOAKED CLOTH BEFORE SPRAYING IT ALL "THROUGH" THE THROTTLE BODY.

- IT IS OFTEN POSSIBLE TO PERFORM THIS WITH A CAREFULLY PLACED CLEANER NOZZLE "SLIPPED" INTO A BOOT SLEAVE AND SPRAYED INTERMITTENTLY WHILE RUNNING/REVVING THE ENGINE (SO IT BURNS OFF UPON ENTRY INTO THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER) --> MAY NOT BE POSSIBLE ON ALL MODELS/CARS, ETC.... (GENERAL RULE)

- IF YOU SPRAY "LARGE" AMOUNTS INTO THE THROTTLE BODY WHEN CLEANING, THIS HIGHLY ABRASIVE CLEANING SOLUTION WILL RUN DOWN AROUND YOUR RINGS AND INTO YOUR OIL, DEGRADING IT PREMATURELY

- SEE POINT ABOVE --> YOU SHOULD FLUSH YOUR OIL AFTER SUCH A CLEANING IF POSSIBLE. INTRODUCING A SOLVENT INTO YOUR LUBRICANT IS NEVER A GOOD IDEA FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME.

- GOOD IDEA TO DO THIS BEFORE PLUG CHANGE IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING IT.....

Well, didn't mean to YELL.... just had caps on and left it.... sorry!

BTW, this type of cleaning procedure is a snap.... everyone should do it periodically, like, every 30,000 miles AT LEAST! It will prevent build-up and reduce throttle butterfly "sticking" and obviate the need to spray GOBS of cleaner and forcing TONS of crud into the engine.....

just some thots....

- crisp :fadein:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby NeFaRiOuS_SLE » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm

Yeah it isn't possible to do it while running; I had a blond moment and left the boot sleeve out and couldn't start the car... But it was 1AM and I was too tired to tell.
NeFaRiOuS_SLE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby NotfastNotfurious » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:21 pm

thanks for the tip, I will try it out tomorrow
NotfastNotfurious
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SolAraB » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:49 pm

very easy and simple to do this....i used stp amazin stuff everything came right off..i was installin t/b spacer at same time and had a little ttrouble.....i couldnt take out bottom two bolts so i just tightened top two and reinstalled everything...bad idea.....i started car and rpms jumped to 3000 and then it just turned off. it did this twice so i took out spacer and put everything back the way it was and the car worked fine except now i have check engine light on.
SolAraB
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby rec » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:42 pm

anyone have step by step pics ?
Mine is black.......
rec
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 02RedSoul » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:53 pm

Hey I've been trying to get my hands on some throttle body cleaner and the only thing I've found is Valvoline Synpower Carb, Choke, and Throttle Body Cleaner. The first few posts said dont user Carb cleaner but I want to know if any one has used this type and is it fine for me to use? And if not, what exact brand and name did you use?
02RedSoul
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby bassthrive » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:27 pm

02RedSoul wrote:Hey I've been trying to get my hands on some throttle body cleaner and the only thing I've found is Valvoline Synpower Carb, Choke, and Throttle Body Cleaner. The first few posts said dont user Carb cleaner but I want to know if any one has used this type and is it fine for me to use? And if not, what exact brand and name did you use?

thats the stuff i use. as long as it says throttle body or something to the effect of "safe for fuel injected vehicles" you are fine.
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Postby GooseXRS » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:30 pm

I have done this because my car sometimes idles at 235rpm when I start it. I cleaned the donkey out of it yet it still happens so I am thinking it might be the spark plugs or fuel injectors. Any suggestions?
Thank you
Take Care
Andrew
"The defense department regrets to inform you that your sons are dead because they were stupid. "
- Goose
GooseXRS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5