[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - DIY Independent Fog Lights
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

DIY Independent Fog Lights

Postby that1mexguy » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:27 pm

ScottV6 wrote:its like my key is turned to the accessories thing.. not on... i get radio, headlights, ac adapter, etc
its like the key is turned to the point before ON

wont this drain ur battery???? :o
that1mexguy
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby SC V6 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:11 pm

well the first time I turn the key off, and don't touch the headlights nob, it is all turned off... but then if i flick it back off, then on, it turns it all on
Parting out my car!!! great upgrades for sale!
http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=34449

Denso IK22's (6), SWAP PARTS! and more!!!
SC V6
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby pythonjosh » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:24 pm

ScottV6 wrote:its like my key is turned to the accessories thing.. not on... i get radio, headlights, ac adapter, etc
its like the key is turned to the point before ON

Your headlights are always hot. With or without the keys you can always turn on your headlights. And the fans don't work when this is happening right? This would show that the accessories negative wire would be connected to the fog lights to the ground. This is just off the top of my head. I'll try something on my next break (work). I wonder what I could do with that wire besides hook it up to the head or fog lights? I could hook up a door sensor module and have the radio and accesories stay on until I open the door like in the 2002? Grand Prix. I noticed that when I drove it as a rental car during my last job. Anyways, I'll let you know what I find. Late,
Josh
Brilliant Silver 03 Nissan G35 6MT

In the struggle for justice, I is prepared to lay my life on the line. Just like Martin Luther Vandross did.
pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby pythonjosh » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:56 pm

Ya know it could be a better reminder to turn off your headlights than that annoying chime. Which I disabled on my car.
Josh

In the struggle for justice, I is prepared to lay my life on the line. Just like Martin Luther Vandross did.
pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SolaraT » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:06 pm

So Josh or Scott, just to clairify, this will disable that auto off feature for the headlights? Like when you take your key out and open the door the lights turn off.

I always laughed at those people that "forget to turn their lights off" and said to my self. "Haha my Solara won't alow it!" "won't ever happen to me!"

I don't think I would forget to shut my lights off.
SolaraT
Solaraguy need mo power guy

Postby pythonjosh » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:31 pm

solarat wrote:So Josh or Scott, just to clairify, this will disable that auto off feature for the headlights? Like when you take your key out and open the door the lights turn off.

Nope. I made the fogs totally independent from the headlights. The headlights still have all the features they already had: DRL, Auto Off, etc.

Have you been able to figure out your headlight-radio relationship yet Scott?

pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SC V6 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:35 pm

not quite sure.. I think its just by chance.. I think that since I grounded that some other things turn on also.. Im not quite sure y.. haven't had time.. trying to move out and find a house, and do my secret project to my solara :evilbat:

SC V6

Postby pythonjosh » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:10 am

SC V6 wrote:not quite sure.. I think its just by chance.. I think that since I grounded that some other things turn on also.. Im not quite sure y.. haven't had time.. trying to move out and find a house, and do my secret project to my solara :evilbat:

Does your cig lighter work when this happens? If so then your acc ground (one of the wires in the blue plug) would be connected to your headlight ground or headlight switch ground.

I've got a little project I'm working on too. I'm half done right now, and will be done tomorrow. I'll post pics in the pics section tomorrow night if all goes as planned.
Josh

pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SC V6 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:53 am

sounds good.. my AC adapter does work
yeah im about half way 2... just need to get one more part in and im golden to finish... should be done by next friday at the latest
later

SC V6

Postby SolaraT » Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:02 pm

Josh,

Now I am forced to do this mod because ever since I installed my HID kit my fogs will not light up. The fuse checks out fine and the bulbs are not blown.

Any Idea on why?

Anything else I can check for? If they are not lighting up now I don't think they will light up after this mod either.

PM me if needed or call me. 770-527-8932
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT

Postby SolaraT » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:15 am

I have low only HIDs. Not the dual ones.

You said, hook them up were the highs are. How would I do that? I have a feeling that's probably it but how do I know?
I connected the HIDs to the factory terminal on the driver side and the passenger side left alone. (Not hooked up to anything)
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT

Postby pythonjosh » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:33 pm

solarat wrote:Josh,
Now I am forced to do this mod because ever since I installed my HID kit my fogs will not light up. The fuse checks out fine and the bulbs are not blown.
Any Idea on why?
Anything else I can check for? If they are not lighting up now I don't think they will light up after this mod either.
PM me if needed or call me. 770-527-8932

There's only 2 factors that make the fogs turn on (given everything works). If you pull out the fog light relay, there are 2 wide prongs in this position: II , and 2 smaller prongs in this position: = . With the 2 smaller prongs, the top one is a red wire that needs to be positive, I wired mine up to the cig lighter wire. The stock setup only makes that wire hot when the low beam headlights are on.
Then you need to ground the wire from the fog light switch, which is the thin blue w/ red stripe wire. Just splice a wire from that to the chassis.
My most useful tool is my hot wire tester, nobody should be modding without one.
Josh

pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5