[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Gen1 DIY OEM Black Corners UPDATE!!!!
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Gen1 DIY OEM Black Corners UPDATE!!!!

Re: Gen1 DIY OEM Black Corners UPDATE!!!!

Postby dinoxor » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:15 am

DSM_Lara wrote:Finally sealed them last night and they are on the car. Right now that's the only thing throwing it off. Everything up front has the black housing fog lights and corners. Except for my headlights... Anyone has a set of headlights for sale?

http://solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=21365&hilit=black+headlight
pretty simple diy to give your stock housing that blacked out housing look!
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DSM_Lara » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:28 pm

dinoxor wrote:
DSM_Lara wrote:Finally sealed them last night and they are on the car. Right now that's the only thing throwing it off. Everything up front has the black housing fog lights and corners. Except for my headlights... Anyone has a set of headlights for sale?

http://solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=21365&hilit=black+headlight
pretty simple diy to give your stock housing that blacked out housing look!

I know how to do it but I'm the type of person that don't want to mess with my stock OEM parts just incase if I had to turn it back to stock. I like to keep my OEM parts untouch and put it on the side. So.... that's why I need another pair of headlights.
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby mig0s » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:26 pm

Hey DSM, what kind of paint did you use? I'm planning to do the same with my corners and my headlights.
1999 V6 5-Speed... so beautiful :' )
Black housing headlights, corner. 55w 6k HID, 2500k fogs, TWM Short Shifter+weighted knob, Tein+KYB, TRD lip kit + Acura CL type-S front lip. TSW Kyalami 18x8. Cutom 2.5" SS free flow muffler.
mig0s
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DSM_Lara » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:20 pm

mig0s wrote:Hey DSM, what kind of paint did you use? I'm planning to do the same with my corners and my headlights.

I think I use duplicolor.... I forgot... Primer base/Black Gloss/Clear Coat. Tape off the amber and tape under the dome thingy to keep reflector.
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby mig0s » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:55 pm

DSM_Lara wrote:
mig0s wrote:Hey DSM, what kind of paint did you use? I'm planning to do the same with my corners and my headlights.

I think I use duplicolor.... I forgot... Primer base/Black Gloss/Clear Coat. Tape off the amber and tape under the dome thingy to keep reflector.

Alright I don't know about duplicolor but I hope yours is high temp paint! I'm doing my corners and headlights soon and BTW I just received some flame red corner bulbs so I'll see how it looks on the car. How hard was it to take off the corner lights?
1999 V6 5-Speed... so beautiful :' )
Black housing headlights, corner. 55w 6k HID, 2500k fogs, TWM Short Shifter+weighted knob, Tein+KYB, TRD lip kit + Acura CL type-S front lip. TSW Kyalami 18x8. Cutom 2.5" SS free flow muffler.
mig0s
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby freshdenamufcka » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:14 pm

has anyone had any luck with this? i tried DSM's method but could not get them to crack open. I preheat my oven to 350F for 10 mins. let the lights sit in there for about a minute. twisted and turned them still couldnt get em open..so I put em back in the oven for another minute or so to the point where the tabs were starting to melt. I took them out and tried again and still nothing.

I got impatient so I let the lights cool off and started prying them open with a flat head starting from the rear. i got about half way thru when the lense just cracked on me. the bond holding the lense and housing toward the front of the lights are just way stronger than the rear. this was my 2nd attempt. my first attempt was sucessful in getting em open without heating them but when i was cleaning the lenses to get rdy to put them back on, one of them cracked on me.

Really sucks that noone makes these parts for us solara owners and we have to keep wasting money trying to do a simple mod like this. i basically threw away $50 for this pair and i dont plan on trying again until i have a for sure method that works.

Before anyone tries this and wastes their money. i came up with a idea of using a dremel tool to cut around the lense. then just close the gap between the lense and housing with a sealant. i took a close look at the way the lense sits on the housing and i know it can be done, unfortunately i dont have another pair to try it on. so my advice to anyone whos planning to try this is just to examine the light first and see where you need to cut with the dremel. dont forget to post pictures too!
freshdenamufcka
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby DSM_Lara » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:44 pm

That sucks.... It kind is a risk when your doing this. I'm planning on making a another set but I just have to find a pair somewhere.
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby freshdenamufcka » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:21 pm

DSM after you do your 2nd set and feel comfortable doing it. can you make me a set? ill buy the lights and have them shipped to you. i just need them opened and painted you dont have to re-seal them because im gonna be tinting the amber reflector with a light shade of black
freshdenamufcka
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby kenny6683 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:02 am

freshdenamufcka, i realized that some corners just wont crack open like you experienced...i think cutting around the back of corners is best way to avoid cracking them, but sealing them back is tricky part.
i cracked a corner less recently...
if you heated them up to the point that the tabs start to bend then you should be able to crack them open by flexing them just a bit
if you flex too much...lense will crack. its hit and miss
trying to pry open with a screw driver will brake pieces off the lense
best way to do it is by wearing some heat proof gloves and getting a nice grip of them once heated...but having a lot of patients
kenny6683
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby crankine3 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:44 am

I've gone through a few attempts at removing these lenses. Definitely keep it warm, at the least it keeps the gray housing pliable. I even use a heat gun to keep the spot I am working on warm But, only use a screw driver / pry device when you are doing the tip around the orange reflector. For the rest, think of the process as more removing the housing from the lens, and not the lens from the housing. Pull all stress on the housing to peel it back, or squeeze the housing off the lens. If you put little to no stress on the lens, it should come out fine after 5 minutes of slow progress popping a few millimeters at a time.
crankine3
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Previous

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5