[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 1MZ-FE Timing Belt
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

1MZ-FE Timing Belt

1MZ-FE Timing Belt

Postby Anthony » Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:45 pm

1MZ-FE Timing Belt - Instructions and diagrams:

http://yotarepair.com/1FZ-ME_timingbelt.html

Anthony
2002 SLE V6
Anthony
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Mole » Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:32 am

nice find!
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby DavPak » Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:40 am

haha, just the toyota repair manual scanned!
'02 Solara S/C'ed V6 5-spd
DavPak
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby Mole » Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:05 am

yeah, but im too lazy to read mine. :)
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Timing belts (care and feeding of)

Postby ezshift5 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:53 pm

Is the Solara V6 an "interference" or a "non-interference" engine? If the belt fails, do the pistons cream the valves or does the engine just stop?

Thanks...ez

2000 DWP SE-V6 5-speed with 215/55's (that's it)
ezshift5
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Turbosolara » Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:36 am

I would recommond people dont do it at home...you dont wanna take the risk to kill the motor.
2002 Lexus IS300 5MT
1997 Prelude base, 5MT
Turbosolara
juicy Taiwanese sausage
juicy Taiwanese sausage

Re: Timing belts (care and feeding of)

Postby DavPak » Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:07 am

ezshift5 wrote:Is the Solara V6 an "interference" or a "non-interference" engine? If the belt fails, do the pistons cream the valves or does the engine just stop?

Thanks...ez

2000 DWP SE-V6 5-speed with 215/55's (that's it)

non-interference. no harm to the engine if the belt snaps.

all toyota belt driven engines are non-interference. all toyota chain driven engines are interference.
'02 Solara S/C'ed V6 5-spd
DavPak
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:03 am

my dad told me u can just drive the car til the belt snaps and then get a new one, and it would be the same cost (aside from towing i guess) as doing the preventative replacement at 60k. is that true?

Postby JoeB » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:29 am

I think that question is best asked of Murphy since he always has his most fun in scenarios like this. If Murphy has his way, your timing belt will snap when you are about to enter a hard corner and or needing to brake quickly. Certainly he will cause the timing to be right when you NEED to be somewhere and are already a little late. Then when your car is towed to the shop, they have to order the belt so it will be a day or 2 without your car. Your decision, I prefer "PREVENTIVE" maintenance. -JoeB
JoeB
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby 4banger » Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:46 am

my mom had a mid eighties (I don't remember the year) diesel corola. She was driving home one day and the engine just stopped and she lost steering. It turned out the timing belt snapped and tore up a bunch of stuff on the engine (I don't remember what I was pretty young then). The insurance cmopany deemed it totaled. BTW she had all the belts checked at jiffy lube a couple weeks prior.
Silver '99 Solara SE 4cyl.
4banger
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Luc » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:03 am

4banger wrote:BTW she had all the belts checked at jiffy lube a couple weeks prior.

Those quick-change/lube shops do NOT look at timing belt since it's under a cover. The belts they supposedly visually inspect are crankshaft, A/C, and power steering, which are all visible to you and me.
1998 S/C'd 1MZ-FE A/T
Luc
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: 1MZ-FE Timing Belt

Postby andy2dc » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:39 pm

possibly a dumb question, but does this apply to a sc'ed engine?
andy2dc
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: 1MZ-FE Timing Belt

Postby 1BADGTS » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:36 pm

Doesn't matter if it's supercharged or not it's the same proceedure (just alot more to remove !!). I do these daily at our Dealership and I can tell you I have seen the belts snap and take stuff out. It can cost you much more to just "let it go" than it would to do it as a preventive maintenance. The most common is taking out the crank sensor & crank gear. We used to do these as part of the 60k service, but within the last 5 years or so our region has change the belt replacement from 60K to 75K. Basically, if you remove a couple of the top bolts from the cover, pull it back slightly & you can see the ribs of the belt on the smooth side or ANY type of cracking, it's time for a new belt. Also if you have any type of fluid (ie oil, coolant or powersteering) getting on the belt it will destroy it. So, if you see a leak when your replacing the belt (like cam seals, crank seal or water pump) fix it now !! It will save you a bunch headaches down the road and make your new belt last.
****THE FLEET****
2001 Toyota Highlander Limited V6 - "The Wifes"
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 5 Speed - Family Pimp Ride
1993 Toyota Celica GT-Four R/C Clone - Weekend Fun
1987 Toyota Supra Turbo 5 Speed Sport Roof - Just Because !!
1BADGTS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5