[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - New Independent Foglight Mod. (GEN1)
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

New Independent Foglight Mod. (GEN1)

Postby TLMNICK » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:35 pm

Ok, If you dont have this wire ( i dont see why it wouldnt)...but in any case, here is what you do.

You'll need a test light.
Since you dont have the wire that i mentioned in my tutorial, you'll have to find a wire at that harness that has a GROUND when the headlights are turned on. The tricky part to this though is that there will be two of those wires. One controlling the headlights, and the other gives a ground to one side of the foglight switch.

You'll know its the right wire because it'll be right next to a wire that gives a ground when the foglight switch it turned on. You're gonna have to test for two wires.

Hope that helps...if it doesnt..let me know, and I'll see if I can simplify it. I know it sounds complicated.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mazen222 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:42 pm

does this have any side effects if i have HIDs installed on the headlights and fog lights?
1999, 5 Speed V6
mazen222
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby andrew_alfonso » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:32 am

any updates on what colored wire it is when the red/blue/silver is not present? I have an 01 SE and it too does NOT have the colored wire you have....
01 Solara SE I4 Hardtop
11 Pilot Touring 4WD
andrew_alfonso
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Ransom8707 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:34 am

mazen222 wrote:does this have any side effects if i have HIDs installed on the headlights and fog lights?

No it's actually better you get to your HID High beams while using your HID fogs which equals to GLARE city. :D

andrew_alfonso wrote:any updates on what colored wire it is when the red/blue/silver is not present? I have an 01 SE and it too does NOT have the colored wire you have....

I actually didn't get back to it since I had to evacuate. I'll probably check it out later when I go ahead and install my HID fogs. If I'm not wrong I'm guessing it's the last BLACK/WHITE wire that were suppose to use but I'm not sure. I'll keep you posted if I ever get back to it.
Ransom8707
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Skew » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:11 pm

What size extention wire is needed for this tutorial?
| 99 SLE V6 | TRD AB Exhaust | Vinyl Matte Black Roof | Custom Mesh Grill | 20% Tint |
Skew
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TLMNICK » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:27 pm

16-18 guage, and about 3 feet.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Skew » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:02 pm

Thanks
| 99 SLE V6 | TRD AB Exhaust | Vinyl Matte Black Roof | Custom Mesh Grill | 20% Tint |
Skew
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Akfahad » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:45 pm

Need a little help with this, especially on STEP 4. Did the steering column alright, but couldn't find the relay with the four wires coming out of it for the life of me. Can I get specifics on where exactly this is? I know you against the drivers side wall, straight up and left, but I couldn't find it. I found the two white and black strip wires that are in the pic, but couldn't seem to find that damn relay.
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby TLMNICK » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:54 pm

I think a couple of people have had a bit of difficulty finding the foglight relay as well.

Its possible that your relay may be in a different spot. If you can get your foglights to a point where they're functional, then flick them on and off a few times....listen for it, and you'll hear the "clicking" noise that it makes when it turns on and off....similar to the noise you hear when you use your turn signals. Trace that noise, and you'll find the foglight relay.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Akfahad » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:25 pm

^^k, thanks...i'll have to try it next weekend.
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Akfahad » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:06 pm

TLMNICK wrote:If you can get your foglights to a point where they're functional, then flick them on and off a few times....listen for it, and you'll hear the "clicking" noise that it makes when it turns on and off

Worked like a charm, thanks bro! in addition to hearing it, I also put my finger on the relay I thought it was and was able to feel it vibrate. But man, it sure was a biatch to get to those wires, had to undo the whole white plastic tray that's mounted to the frame to get to the wires behind it, but all is well and definitely glad I did this. Now just need to get some yellow capsules.
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Skew » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:40 pm

Hey TLMNICK,

I had the same problem Akfahad had with the relay not being where you said. So I felt around, and found the right relay on the tray mounted on the wall by the vibrations when turning on the lights. Behind it i fount two red wires, one with a white stripe, and one without. Both with silver dots.

Which do I cut?

There is the entire harness.

There is the back of the relay.

I dont want to end up cutting the wrong wire.
Skew
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Akfahad » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:53 pm

Skew...match up the picture that he provided with yours. the back of the relay's are identical. both have 4 wires coming out the back. if you look close, there's the red wire on the bottom, a empty space right above it, and then right above that, another wire. His looks black or a dark green, yours is green. so it should be the red wire with the silver dots. (not the one with the silver strip)
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Skew » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:05 pm

Thanks.
Skew
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TLMNICK » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:42 pm

Akfahad is correct Skew. You will need to cut the solid red wire (with the silver dots).

I'm not sure why my relay is in a different spot from some of you other gen1 guys....maybe because mine is a convertible? Let me know how it turns out, or if you need further assistance.

Akfahad glad it worked out bro! Its a simple mod, but a must have. Post some pics if you can.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5