[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - want to upgrade to a 3MZ?
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

want to upgrade to a 3MZ?

Re: want to upgrade to a 3MZ?

Postby Bostonlara » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:38 pm

Perfect! Looks like I'm going to the junk yard tomorrow. Now I just need to tackle the power steering pump. Went to bolt up my 1mz pump and it just didn't seem to line up. So I'll look at one tomorrow. Hoping I can just get a new bracket from a 3mz or a 3mz pump.

Smaay, were there any other little things you needed to fab up?
building a 5.5psi S/C 3MZ 5spd with Meth, 305cc injectors, lite weight crank pulley, Apexi Neo, full exhaust & ypipe, CAI, TB spacer, knock upgrade, jims fuel upgrade, walbro 255, and much much much much more
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Smaay » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:53 am

oh that reminds me. the pumps are the same, its the bracket on the backside of the pump. you also need part of the engine mount. if you get a 3MZ out of a junkyard, just ask them for the power steering pump too. they should throw it in.
1990 Celica All-Trac 3S-GTE
1997 Celica GT 1MZ/3MZ hybrid
1997 Supra 2JZ-GTE
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE
1998 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel

Thats alot of BOOST!!!!
Smaay
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Smaay » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:58 am

this is from a post i made on MR2OC.com

PM sent.

ok i just came back from toyota, the bracket that bolts to the head is the same between teh 2 engines. the parts system just got a new program so we couldnt confirm if the pumps were teh same and just had a different bracket on them, or if the part that you loosen and slide the pump to tighten the belt is different. I took a pic of my 1MZ pump with the 3MZ "lower bracket" and you can see that the pulleys will not line up. i believe that the "bracket" that you slide the pump to tighten the belt is different between the 2.

So what i definitely need the the head bracket and then need to confirm the pump brackets.

cont. ok after doing some serious digging, i discovered that the pumps are the same, the head bracket is the same, and the i think the adjustment "slider" is the same. what is different is the the front bracket that is on the pump. it has a big step in it that move the pump back to line up with the pulleys
1997 Supra 2JZ-GTE
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE

Thats alot of BOOST!!!!
Smaay
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Bostonlara » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:41 am

Holy crap thanks man, I talked to gabe today and he said the same thing. Both of you guys rock!!
building a 5.5psi S/C 3MZ 5spd with Meth, 305cc injectors, lite weight crank pulley, Apexi Neo, full exhaust & ypipe, CAI, TB spacer, knock upgrade, jims fuel upgrade, walbro 255, and much much much much more
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Solarasian » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:39 am

cant wait to see the product of this project. very excited
Auto SLE V6
6000k VVME Bi-Xenon
GReddy SP2 catback
injen SRI is2030p
Kaminari Lip Kit(stand by)
Tokico hp Struts
Tein S Tech
Solarasian
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Smaay » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:39 pm

yeah they changed the timing belt tensioner so the PS pump was moved a little. the oil pumps are different too. but if you get the PS pump with the engine then you are golden. are you upgrading a VVT 1MZ or a plain 1MZ? not that it matters but im really curious how the 3MZ will run on VVT 1MZ electronics.
1997 Supra 2JZ-GTE
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE

Thats alot of BOOST!!!!
Smaay
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Smaay » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:42 pm

oh 1 more thing i thought of. the EGR. there is no EGR cooler on the back of the block. what I did was have my fab shop just reshape the pipe so it is a solid piece. I suggest you take the engine to a shop (if you cant do this yourself) and tell the fabricator that you need this pipe shaped to fit. take him the engine with the rear header on and the intake manifold and EGR and the pipes mounted. it will all make sense once you dive into it.
1997 Supra 2JZ-GTE
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE

Thats alot of BOOST!!!!
Smaay
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Bostonlara » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:53 pm

sweet man thanks!! i after you posted about the bracket earlier i shot up to my go to junk yard, found the ONLY 3MZ there and bought the bracket for $10!!!!!!!!

ya i'll have to stare at the EGR set up after i tackle the PS. i got a thread going in the Forced Induction thread cus i'll be supercharging this bad boy. so far things are working out (knock on wood).

and it is a FULL 3MZ, only 1mz parts are the ones you told me needed to be swapped out. btw i ended up welding shut the holes you ended up plugging for the TB
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Bostonlara » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:11 pm

Solarasian wrote:cant wait to see the product of this project. very excited

some basic pics are up here:
http://solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=54184&p=631116#p631116
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Bostonlara » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:42 pm

figured i'd throw these up here for anyone searching in the future

Bracket needed for the power steering pump IF you're using a 1MZ pump

Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Bostonlara » Sat May 04, 2013 4:25 pm

DSM_Lara wrote:Makes me think if its possible to put a 5 speed E153 trans in a 2Gen.

it defienetly will mate to the block. whether the K-frame and mounts are the same i have no idea. probably a pain to do but it can be done.
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Bdub215 » Wed May 08, 2013 5:30 pm

Just browsed through this so a 3MZ swap seems straight forward for my avalon. Just that i dont know if its beneficial enough to do it in the future.
Bdub215
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Bostonlara » Wed May 08, 2013 8:39 pm

Beneficial for the engine or in general?
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby dreddy » Sat May 18, 2013 7:04 pm

Smaay wrote:now on a sidebar, if you have a VVT 1MZ then you are in big luck. just swap the engines and still use your intake manifold and dual throttle body. you will have the VVT support and most likely make more power than I did.

This is the setup I'm currently putting together. I have a 3mz VVTi, and I'd like to put on the 1mz intake with VVTi, TBs etc. My question is how to pick an ECU/ECM?

From what I can find, the ES300 is the ONLY one to get a VVTi and manual transmission option. Solara gets manual 1mz, but no VVTi version. Sienna, Highlander, Camry, RX, etc get VVTi, but no manual option. So what computer is going to work for both VVTi and manual transmission?
dreddy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Smaay » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:29 am

dreddy wrote:
Smaay wrote:
From what I can find, the ES300 is the ONLY one to get a VVTi and manual transmission option.

interesting!!!!! can this be verified? an ES300 with VVT 1MZ and 5 speed? i didnt think anything with VVT 1MZ came with a 5 speed.
1997 Supra 2JZ-GTE
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE

Thats alot of BOOST!!!!
Smaay
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

PreviousNext

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5