[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - SuperCharger and EBC
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

SuperCharger and EBC

SuperCharger and EBC

Postby ICUFG » Thu Jan 09, 2003 2:40 pm

Well I got tired of the boost on my s/c on my automatic, I dont have boost in the lower RPM range and between shifts. I have heard where people dont even put the Electronic Boost Control in their cars to avoid the control of boost. TRD made this for a reason to save tranny life. So I put an inline switch to the ground of the EBC and now all I have to do is flip the switch and now I have full boost for racing. I love it its great now, it really runs like it is suppose too. For normal driving I leave the switch on to save my tranny. Im getting ready to put a trans cooler in my tranny to better cool.
ICUFG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Optimus » Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:02 pm

Did you wire the switch through to the interior? Please post some pics and directions on the install. My s/c will be installed soon and I think I like the idea of being able to shut it off every now and then.
7 years w/ Gen 1 Solara....
Loved Toyota so much that I work for them now
Optimus
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Yanks0114 » Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:14 pm

I was definately considering doing that, so i could have two different modes. Would there be anyway to turn boost off completely if my parents were to drive my car. Just be careful because now you don't have Redline boost cut.
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby NASTY » Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:18 pm

yanks0114 wrote:Would there be anyway to turn boost off completely if my parents were to drive my car. Just be careful because now you don't have Redline boost cut.

yeah, didnt ragtop george (think thats his name) do that to prove there was boost in 1st?
either way, they'll still hear the sounds it makes
'01 SLE V6
NASTY
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Flipside909 » Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:43 pm

NASTY wrote:
yanks0114 wrote:Would there be anyway to turn boost off completely if my parents were to drive my car. Just be careful because now you don't have Redline boost cut.

yeah, didnt ragtop george (think thats his name) do that to prove there was boost in 1st?
either way, they'll still hear the sounds it makes

Just because you hear the whine in first doesn't mean it's boosting. I don't think he's successfully proved to us that there is boost as he had no boost guage the last time we discussed it. You all need to tap your line for boost so you can for sure tell if you are boosting at all or not. EBC is designed to CUT boost at 1st and in between shifts regardless.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Yanks0114 » Thu Jan 09, 2003 7:06 pm

Flip I think all the auto owners will vouch for this, there is Defintately boost in 1st. At almost exactly 3800rpm the car pins you back in your seat. When there was a little bit of snow on the ground I was even able to break my tires free when boost hit in 1st gear. I do see what you mean though when it cuts boost for .6 seconds between shifts
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Flipside909 » Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:30 pm

yanks0114 wrote:Flip I think all the auto owners will vouch for this, there is Defintately boost in 1st. At almost exactly 3800rpm the car pins you back in your seat. When there was a little bit of snow on the ground I was even able to break my tires free when boost hit in 1st gear. I do see what you mean though when it cuts boost for .6 seconds between shifts

I dunno. I can break the tires loose on the Avalon in 1st gear if I mash it (with major wheel hop)...this is with dry conditions...and a good set of Pilot XGTH4's on 205/65/15. I've ridden and driven several Auto Solara and Camrys with the S/C...as well as manual versions...and up to 13psi at one time. I do know the difference. Keep in mind my Avalon uses the same auto tranny as in the solara. I dunno about you all, but all of our Automatics with s/c have the EBC functioning as it should. And one of our guys has well over 115,000 miles on his 97 LE V6...and has logged over 60k miles since install of the S/C.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Yanks0114 » Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:43 pm

LOL that freaken wheel hop, I hate it. The tires don't break off the line, but at around 3800 i can get them to break when boost kicks in. My supercharger was installed by a Toyota dealer (Toyota of Morristown). Thats very reassuring that someone has had the S/C for 60k miles, i'm always worried about long term effects.

I try not to beat on my car, but when i do floor it, i'd love not to have the EBC regulating boost
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby ICUFG » Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:56 pm

I could not spin my wheels in first with 235's and now I can with the S/C. Their is no doubt in mind that my auto has boost in first gear. I havent decided where to put my switch yet but I'll post pics when I do.
ICUFG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Ragtop George » Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:20 pm

To cut boost I wired a switch from the EBC output to ground, when the switch is closed there is no boost. If you want to keep the high RPM boost cut but give boost during the shift, you could wire your racing switch to change the 2 transmission wires from their original position to ground. You would need a double pole double throw switch, the center terminals would go to the transmission wires from the EBC and one outside pair of terminals would go to the car transmission wires, the other outside pair of switch terminals would go to ground.

On my car, which clearly was manufactured in some faraway strange land because it does give boost in first gear, cutting the boost does eliminate virtually all of the whine. My temporary setup uses a heavy truck transmission switch which is hose clamped to the shifter. The wires just run down by the passenger foot area right now.

My car couldn't come close to spinning the wheels before the supercharger, now it can do it quite well.

George
Ragtop George

Supercharger ebc boost control

Postby Danny » Sat Jan 11, 2003 1:50 pm

your supercharger is set up with your bypass valve to prevent pressure build up, in first gear your bypass valve stays open and gives you 1 3rd of the horsepower your s/c puts out when second gear kicks in your bypass valve is closed then building pressure without a blow off type situation, i have ran my solara with out an ebc for apx. a year, the problem with this is that if you have no ebc and your bypass valve hose is installed then then you will always get close to a 3rd of the hp becasue the bypass valve will stay open once you un plug the bypass vavle hose you can plug it and that will give you full boost through first gear with the ebc off. :D
Danny
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Ferrari_1299 » Sat Jan 11, 2003 2:57 pm

My engine is stock and I spin my tires, in dry conditions, in first. Just punch it. It's not very hard for my V6 Auto to do.
1999 SE V6
Eibach Springs, Tokicko Struts, CF Hood, Custom Grill, Clear Corners, more to come...

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/275185
Ferrari_1299
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby impactX » Sun Jan 12, 2003 10:44 am

Ferrrari_1299 wrote:My engine is stock and I spin my tires, in dry conditions, in first. Just punch it. It's not very hard for my V6 Auto to do.

AKA one-wheel-burnout :lol:
impactX
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ICUFG » Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:01 am

On a straight line both of mine smoke. :x need more grip.
ICUFG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Eddiman » Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:37 pm

you even spin your tires with a 4 banger automatic also....
Eddiman
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5