[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - advanced timing resistor?
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

advanced timing resistor?

advanced timing resistor?

Postby kondo » Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:25 pm

I bought a resistor on ebay for $1 that goes in the air intake sensor and tells it the air is colder than it is to advance the timing. It made my SLE seem faster it already had injen intake and a greddy evo. I recently added a SC and fuel milage went down by 50 miles a tank, so I took out the resistor and now my car seems slower. Does any one know if the resistor is harfull to the engine?, or does the SC kill your gas millage?

Kondo
99SLE
kondo
SolaraGuy StickerGuy
SolaraGuy StickerGuy

Postby krook » Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:38 pm

i just ordered that too! it was free at the time...so i just decided to play guinnea pig and test this GREAT AND EASY modification. did you notice the increase in hp immediately? also, was it just a measly resistor??
krook
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby kondo » Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:44 pm

It was just one resistor in a envelope with poor photocopied instructions. However I noticed a immediate increase in hp. It also made my gas milage go down. The good thing is it takes about 10 seconds to put it on or take it off.

Nick
99SLE
kondo
SolaraGuy StickerGuy
SolaraGuy StickerGuy

Postby Yanks0114 » Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:24 pm

Hate to break it to you guys but its just a $.10 radio shack resistor. It is also useless. It doesn't tell your computer that your car is getting colder air, because that would make you run rich and our cars already run a little rich out of the factory. Its in your head. It is very very difficult to feel a 5hp gain or even a 10hp gain like these claim and a 20hp gain is absolutely rediculous. A CAI probally won't even do that. Horsepower isn't cheap and especially not $1 for 20hp. The reason your MPG went down is because you were running extermely rich, and you are probally not going to pass emissions with. Plus it voids your warranty reguardless of how easy you can take it in and out. DO NOT BUY THESE THINGS they have extreme adverse affects. I have heard and seen horror stories from them. Don't you think that if toyota could add 20hp to their cars by adding a resistor for 10 cents they would do it in a second.
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Blaze » Fri Jan 03, 2003 5:04 pm

yea those chips will most likely screw up ur engines guys, dont install em
Blaze
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby ICUFG » Sat Jan 04, 2003 8:53 am

You will fowl your plugs out and it will lead to nothing but problems!
ICUFG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5