[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Front Sway bar question
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

Front Sway bar question

Postby cdssolara » Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:56 pm

It's a pretty noticeable difference, especially in steering response. I found that it really tightens up the steering, which is pretty numb in stock set-up. When you take a big sweeping curve the car stays very flat; it really feels more like a true sports car. As for the ride, it's a little firmer, but only when one wheel hits a bump and the other doesn't. It shouldn't change how the car feels when you go over speed bumps or other undulations in the road surface that both wheels go over at the same time.
cdssolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby dbanker » Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:52 pm

What would be better:

1. Installing the rear swaybar only.

or

2. Installing the rear swaybar with the front sway bar.

Also- if the front and the rear are installed would it be advisable to use both the whiteline front and rear swaybars...or would the TRD rear swaybar and the whiteline front swaybar work better?
dbanker
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby impactX » Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:28 am

dbanker wrote:What would be better:

or

Also- if the front and the rear are installed would it be advisable to use both the whiteline front and rear swaybars...or would the TRD rear swaybar and the whiteline front swaybar work better?

I installed RSB with Eibach and Bilstein Struts... The car is fun... but I still want the front to not sway as much. So I ordered a front whiteline and it's coming my way.

I suggest you getting the TRD rear first. The two settings on TRD are a bonus. If you still want the car the sway less, get the front sway. However, you will experience understeer again once you put on bigger front swaybar.
impactX
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Front Sway bar question

Postby adam2562 » Mon Dec 16, 2002 8:32 am

Where do you order the Whiteline Sway Bar kit..??? i think we should have a group buy on the Whiteline kit!!! (my 2 cents worth)
Adam - 99 V6 5spd 165k -SOLD
adam2562
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby cdssolara » Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:58 pm

I got my Whiteline bars from Sean Miller at CTMotorsports.com. He set up a group buy a few months ago, and might be willing to do another one. Check out his website, and you can probably send him a message. One word of caution; if you get involved in a group buy for these, it will take forever to get your bar(s). Whiteline is in Australia, so just the shipping takes awhile. Also, the last group buy was so big that Whiteline didn't have enough bars and had to go through the manufacturing process. It was pretty frustrating for those of us who got them. The bars themselves are relatively inexpensive; less than $100 each even without the group buy. Therefore, the savings won't be very sognificant.
cdssolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:37 pm

ToyGuy wrote: Both pieces are cool upgrades but if you don't corner hard and fast they're eye candy. Not that there's anything wrong with that....

isn't the TRD strut brace eye candy anyway, since the solara already comes with a stock strut brace?

(i have one, btw, simply for eye candy. lol)

Postby cdssolara » Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:48 pm

Anonymous wrote:
ToyGuy wrote: Both pieces are cool upgrades but if you don't corner hard and fast they're eye candy. Not that there's anything wrong with that....

isn't the TRD strut brace eye candy anyway, since the solara already comes with a stock strut brace?

I don't think it improves structural rigidity over the stock brace. In fact, it looks less rigid than the the stock unit. I believe that the TRD strut brace was designed to go with the supercharger. The supercharger will not fit in the Camry/Solara engine compartment with the stock brace. However, there are some older generation Camry's that did not come with a stock strut tower brace, so the TRD unit is a great upgrade for them. If you already have one, and you don't have a supercharger, there's really no reason to buy one.
cdssolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Yanks0114 » Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:34 pm

cdssolara wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

I don't think it improves structural rigidity over the stock brace. In fact, it looks less rigid than the the stock unit. I believe that the TRD strut brace was designed to go with the supercharger. The supercharger will not fit in the Camry/Solara engine compartment with the stock brace. However, there are some older generation Camry's that did not come with a stock strut tower brace, so the TRD unit is a great upgrade for them. If you already have one, and you don't have a supercharger, there's really no reason to buy one.

You are correct that there would be no use to upgrade if you are N/A but the TRD strut brace actually is a little more rigid. Not very noticable but it still helps a little, plus as you said before it'll help get over the supercharger.
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby cdssolara » Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:04 pm

dbanker wrote:What would be better:

or

The stiffer rear bar only will keep your rear end flatter during cornering, and also reduce some of the Solara's built-in understeer. Upgrading both the front and rear sway bars will enable to entire car to corner much flatter. It really gives you a sense of stability while taking big sweeper curves at high speed. However, it brings more understeer back into the equation. I have noticed that the front bar also gives me better steering response.

I have tried both alternatives, and find that both have their good and bad points. I'm toying with the idea of staying with the Whiteline front bar, and replacing the Whiteline rear bar with the TRD bar on Track setting, which is a little stiffer. I want to maintain the flatter cornering and better steering response, but I also want to reduce the understeer as much as possible. If I decide to do this, I'll post my opinion of the results.
cdssolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ToyGuy » Sat Dec 21, 2002 5:03 am

"I have tried both alternatives, and find that both have their good and bad points. I'm toying with the idea of staying with the Whiteline front bar, and replacing the Whiteline rear bar with the TRD bar on Track setting, which is a little stiffer. I want to maintain the flatter cornering and better steering response, but I also want to reduce the understeer as much as possible. If I decide to do this, I'll post my opinion of the results."

Springs, struts, stiff bars....might as well just take them all out and bolt it up rigid...it'll corner about as flat and ride the same :P
ToyGuy
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby EricSol » Sat Dec 21, 2002 10:38 am

Vampire wrote: I also have universal greasable bushings from Energy Suspension that I will use if squeaking becomes a problem. The only problem with the greasables is that the mounting bracket has to be modified and the bushing is wider so getting it on there is more cumbersome.

I installed the Energy non-greasable bushings on the TRD bar and the squeeking is gone(6 months). The black Energy bushings are graphite impregnated. I did have to bend the Energy's brackets to make them fit.
EricSol
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby cdssolara » Mon Dec 23, 2002 2:29 pm

ToyGuy wrote:"I have tried both alternatives, and find that both have their good and bad points. I'm toying with the idea of staying with the Whiteline front bar, and replacing the Whiteline rear bar with the TRD bar on Track setting, which is a little stiffer. I want to maintain the flatter cornering and better steering response, but I also want to reduce the understeer as much as possible. If I decide to do this, I'll post my opinion of the results."

Springs, struts, stiff bars....might as well just take them all out and bolt it up rigid...it'll corner about as flat and ride the same :P

Good idea! I'll just turn it into a Solara go-kart.

Seriously, though, the ride is still fine with upgraded springs, struts and rear swaybars. The front swaybars make the front end pretty firm at low speeds, but at higher speeds, the ride is comfortable and very stable. There is so much margin for experimentation because the stock ride is just way too soft.
cdssolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby BurningSolara » Thu Dec 26, 2002 3:17 am

I just got stuck for over a half in hour in my own drive way lol ( dam* snow). I attempted to plow through a snow pile and it didnt work out to good. So after a hour of shoveling , rocking back and forth, and alot of hot water i got out ( now my check engine light is one *sigh*).

This may sound like a dumb question but......... The clearance of the bar. How much lower does these bars hang past the chassis of car? In a situation like mine does it risk damage? For some strange reason I am always in akward situations that involve me sliding/running over things.
BurningSolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby cdssolara » Thu Dec 26, 2002 2:44 pm

The sway bars don't hang below the chassis of the car. Your car already has sway bars in both front and rear. The sway bars being discussed in this thread are aftermarket replacements for the stock sway bars. They are simply a bit thicker than the the stock bars so that they can give the chassis a bit more firmness.
cdssolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Advantages/Disadvantages

Postby RedSolaraGuy » Wed Jan 01, 2003 9:50 pm

Is there any reason to install lowering springs and struts before you install front and rear sway bars. Would a different order of installation make the other more difficult to do? Thanks a lot.
RedSolaraGuy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

PreviousNext

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5