[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Front Sway bar question
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

Front Sway bar question

Front Sway bar question

Postby impactX » Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:40 pm

how thick is the stock front sway bar for solara?

Whiteline bar is 24mm btw
impactX
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Front Sway bar question

Postby impactX » Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:40 pm

and is whiteline frontsway as easy to install as the TRD rear sway?
impactX
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Vampire » Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:26 pm

17 mm.

impactX wrote:how thick is the stock front sway bar for solara?

Whiteline bar is 24mm btw
Paul

02 Solara SE V6 5spd SC
00 Camry LE V6 Auto SC
Vampire
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby MonkieX » Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:37 pm

which is better the trd or the whiteline??
MonkieX
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby impactX » Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:02 am

MonkieX wrote:which is better the trd or the whiteline??

TRD doesn't make front sway bar for Solara.
impactX
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby MonkieX » Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:50 am

my bad... should be more specific... rear sway bar?? whiteline or trd?? and what is the diff between a sway bar and a strut tower brace??
MonkieX
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby cdssolara » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:30 am

I don't think that either one is any "better" than the other. The TRD rear sway bar has two settings, which allow you to adjust the stiffness, while the Whiteline only has one setting. The Whiteline bar's stiffness falls between the two TRD settings.

A lot of people complained that the TRD bar would start squeaking after it had been on the car for awhile, and needed to be regreased on a regular basis. Some people felt that the Whiteline bar didn't squeak as much, but I have one, and it's beginning to squeak a bit.
cdssolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby cdssolara » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:34 am

MonkieX wrote:my bad... should be more specific... rear sway bar?? whiteline or trd?? and what is the diff between a sway bar and a strut tower brace??

The strut tower brace connects the tops of strut mounts and goes across the top of the engine. The front sway bar connects the suspension on either side of the car, and runs under the engine between the front wheels. Both are designed to stiffen the front of the car, but the sway bar is much more effective, due to it's location.
cdssolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby cdssolara » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:36 am

impactX wrote:and is whiteline frontsway as easy to install as the TRD rear sway?

No, it's quite a bit more difficult.
cdssolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby impactX » Fri Nov 22, 2002 4:23 am

cdssolara wrote:
impactX wrote:and is whiteline frontsway as easy to install as the TRD rear sway?

No, it's quite a bit more difficult.

Is it just like the rear sway that I just swing around and get it out or I have to take out extra stuff to pull it out??
impactX
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby cdssolara » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:02 pm

No, you shouldn't have to remove anything. It's more a matter of working the bar out, and then working the new one back in. There's just more stuff to maneuver it around.
cdssolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Vampire » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:23 pm

Just a note. I got my 02 Solara in Sept and ordered a TRD rear sway bar. What I found is that they modified the poly bushing so it has small circular ridges that are supposed to hold the grease better. The original bushings were smooth when I got it for my 00 Camry. It seems to be working so far after 2 1/2 months. We'll see. I also have universal greasable bushings from Energy Suspension that I will use if squeaking becomes a problem. The only problem with the greasables is that the mounting bracket has to be modified and the bushing is wider so getting it on there is more cumbersome.

cdssolara wrote:

I don't think that either one is any "better" than the other. The TRD rear sway bar has two settings, which allow you to adjust the stiffness, while the Whiteline only has one setting. The Whiteline bar's stiffness falls between the two TRD settings.

A lot of people complained that the TRD bar would start squeaking after it had been on the car for awhile, and needed to be regreased on a regular basis. Some people felt that the Whiteline bar didn't squeak as much, but I have one, and it's beginning to squeak a bit.
Paul

02 Solara SE V6 5spd SC
00 Camry LE V6 Auto SC
Vampire
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ToyGuy » Sat Nov 23, 2002 7:00 am

cdssolara wrote:
MonkieX wrote:my bad... should be more specific... rear sway bar?? whiteline or trd?? and what is the diff between a sway bar and a strut tower brace??

The strut tower brace connects the tops of strut mounts and goes across the top of the engine. The front sway bar connects the suspension on either side of the car, and runs under the engine between the front wheels. Both are designed to stiffen the front of the car, but the sway bar is much more effective, due to it's location.

Actually the brace and bar do 2 completely different things. The brace stiffens the front of the chassis, preventing the strut towers from actually moving toward each other during hard corning. The (anti) sway bar prevents the car from leaning to the outside during cornering by connecting the 2 front springs together through the bar and increasing the effective spring rate. You probably would never notice the difference with or without a strut brace except on a roadcourse taking lap times. The rear swaybar is a different story. It will definitely loosen the back end up under hard cornering. If you install one go somewhere safe and get a feel for the difference. If you don't corner hard enough to get the car to understeer now the rear bar is unnecessary. Both pieces are cool upgrades but if you don't corner hard and fast they're eye candy. Not that there's anything wrong with that....
ToyGuy
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby impactX » Sat Nov 23, 2002 5:47 pm

BTW, how much improment am I looking at with upgrading the Front Sway bar from 17mm - 24mm (I know it's 297% stiffer haha)

My setup is Eibach + TRD Bilstein + TRD rear sway.

The front still rolls a bit during hard cornering... So I will probably get better steering response when I upgrade the FSB? hehe just want to know cos I order it already.
impactX
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Whiteline front swaybar

Postby Iflyhd » Sun Nov 24, 2002 9:40 am

I have been running the Whiteline both front and back for over 18 months or so and I have to admit there is quite a bit of difference from stock. My setup runs Tokico struts and Eibach springs. You will find the ride a little harsh for some, but the cornering is about as flat as anything I have ever driven. It is stiff enough with the TRD strut brace that while pulling out of a parkinglot across a gutter at an angle I will sometime loose traction to the lower wheel. I would call that pretty stiff.
Iflyhd
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5