[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Coilover / Aggressive Fitment Questions
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

Coilover / Aggressive Fitment Questions

Re: Coilover / Aggressive Fitment Questions

Postby napster_atk » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:15 pm

indiglosolara wrote:
99BlackSandv6 wrote:^ I think he's planning on minor fender work. "To flush you must first rub."

True statement.

+45 with +25 spacer will put you at +20 offset with 8" depending on your tire you can do it. if your tires are tall I wouldn't. You will need to strech the tire some more.

I have ALLOT of work done to my fenders to get the 8.5" with +20 offset to work. Not only that but I still rub when having 3 or more ppl in the car.

Front for 8" I wouldn't have your offest lower then +25. You will run into rubbing issues not on the fender itself but the clips along the fender well that will catch your tire and rip the lining out. I rolled my front fenders and grinded all the clips off to fit 8.5" +35 offset when I was slammed.

Maybe run 15mm spacer up front and 30mm in the rear to get a nice fitment. On the Solara Platform the rear wheels sit about 15mm's more in the rear compared to the front due to the body panels and how they were mounted to the car.

this is not the more agressive set-up but will work for what you have. The largest spacer I think you should run is 30mm. no more then that or else you will be putting more stress on the wheel hub aseembly.

Just some information I have learn from my trial and errors

bunch of great points you made.

to give people some spec on what works and what doesn't;

front:
17x8 +45mm offset with 235/45R17, 0 camber, on a mild drop (didn't measure the ride height) it works just fine, rubs on REALLY hard corners while braking.
same set up with more low (23.75" from the ground to highest point on fender's) and 0 camber, it WILL RUB badly! i cut the 235 tires in pieces on my first turn. (not joking)

currently running 17x8 +45mm (same wheels) -1.8 camber and 215/45R17. i haven't had any rubbing issues so far.

rear:
same wheel spec but with 225/45R17, and a 25mm spacer. mild-ish drop (highest point of fender's arch is 24.5" off the ground) it RUBBED like crazy at 0 camber. rolled the fenders with a baseball bat and it decreased, but it was still there. sinally cambered the wheels in -2.5 degree's and the rubbing went away.

MIND YOU that i dont let anyone sit in the back. and i weight about 140 pound soaking wet!

I hope this info help other noob like me out a bit. i haven't given up yet, and i'm working on getting my funds together for the xxr 962's 17X9 +35. what i'm trying to find out is whether i'll need spacers up front to make the wheels fit or would i be fine with out?! anyone has a guess?
napster_atk
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby indiglosolara » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:44 pm

Which front set-up are you going with? I know they make the 962 in 17x7 +38 offset and 17x9 +35 offset, for the rear you may want to use only a 10 to 15mm spacer, This making the rear at +25 or +20 offset. running a 225/45 or 215/45 in the rear will help with rubbing issues and 205/45 up front or if it were me 195/45. front if you want it to sit semi flush maybe a 20mm spacer will make it look ok, but maybe not flush all the way.

If I were to run the 962 in the specs I listed above this is how I would do it,

17x7 +38 offset - add 20mm spacer making it +18 offset with 195/45 tire
17x9 +35 offset - add 15mm spacer making it +20 offset with 215/45 tire
Slam the coilovers till your fender gap it gone.

But I say if you are going to get new wheels anyways why not get wheels that you can order the spec offset you want, so you won't have to spend money on getting spacers.
indiglosolara
Solara 2 xB
Solara 2 xB

Postby napster_atk » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:27 am

i'm going with the 17x9 +35 all the way around. 215/45 for the fronts, and 224/45 for rears. i will be running spacers in the back, just not sure what size yet. the reason i'm not getting any custom setup wheel is, well, i cant afford them, and on a dd solara, they're just not worth it to me.
napster_atk
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby indiglosolara » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:00 am

True..
17x9 all around, You will not need spacers up front, I would probably stick to no more then 15mm, this will clear the coilover housing and give you some room and the fenders. anything more you will have to pull your fenders out. If you plan on using a 10mm spacer it may work but depending on the coilovers you might hit the coupler with the tire. I ran into this issue with my 9.5" with my camber, if I didn't have camber I would be ok.
indiglosolara
Solara 2 xB
Solara 2 xB

Postby napster_atk » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:59 pm

alright guys! i ended up ordering a set of 962's in 17x9 +35 and a front lip which should be here by monday. planning on having everything done asap!
napster_atk
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:07 pm

:sweet:
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby kenny6683 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:58 pm

damn you been making moves lol

is it tax returns time yet?
kenny6683
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby napster_atk » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:47 am

lol, i wish! it's just time for me to put in doubles at work and bust some ass! BUT it's money well spend ;)

P.s. your sig, makes my head hurt! lol
napster_atk
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Mr_Krispy1183 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:03 pm

Got back from Megan today in what was supposed to be the final fitting of the Streets, but alas, I'm still not happy with them. Working to get the fronts to go as low as possible without causing axle/sway bar bind. The woes of being the guinea pig...
'01 zenki MCV20 Silverstream Opalescent
Mr_Krispy1183
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby napster_atk » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:03 am

i'm about an inch away from bottoming out the JIC's and the front of my bumper is still sitting up in the damn sky!!!
napster_atk
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby napster_atk » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:05 am

Just got the lip in! the wheels SHOULD be here tomorrow. going to put the lip on tonight. i'll have update pics. wish me luck!
napster_atk
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Too Bzy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:47 am

Luck!
Charles "Cee-Jay" Hughes
99 TRD Solara S/C LB GP Ed. 23 of 35
86 Supra w/ 6M-GTE
Too Bzy
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Toy1mzfe » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:25 pm

good luck. i hope u know that u gotta do stuff for the lip to fit..
Toy1mzfe
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SleeperSolara » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:55 pm

Hell yeah man.
Can't wait to see that pictures man.
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby napster_atk » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:29 pm

alright guys, I'm finally DONE! put the wheels on today and did some more work on the cambers/ spacers and i'm pretty much achieved hella flush / aggressive look. tot dark outside to go take pics right now, so i'll have some up tomorrow.
I must admit, i LOVE the way it came out, and pretty damn proud of it.
to all the guys who helped and inspired me, thanks you!
napster_atk
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

PreviousNext

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5