[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Been A while but I'm back
New and Old SolaraGuy members should post a hello message here to let everyone know who you are. Tell us about your Solara! We want to know.

Been A while but I'm back

Been A while but I'm back

Postby baxterdan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Hi everyone, my name is Dan and I have a 2001 Solara SLE auto. Lowered on H&R springs (cut 3/4 coil out of fronts) 18" Giovanni rims, 460,000kms! with original engine and trans. I have been a mechanic for 16 years, have worked at Ford, GM and a small shop but have never driven domestic! I am now self employed as a car dealer. Ill post pics of the car as soon as I figure out how. Dan.
460,000km and still going strong!!
baxterdan
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Been A while but I'm back

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:51 pm

cut springs?? :o
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby baxterdan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:28 pm

Ya, when you lower a Solara gen 1 with just springs the rear wheel arch sits at the top of the tire while the front has a 1" gap. The car is sitting level but due to the body line it lookes funny. 3 series BMW's have a similar body line. So to correct this I cut the front springs until there was no more gap. "They" say that this is a horrible thing to do but I have done it on 3 cars already with no problems (91 Corrado & 87 MR2)
baxterdan
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Toy1mzfe » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:38 am

I aint tripping off springs.

Did you cut the top or the lower part of the spring? How does it sit?
Toy1mzfe
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby GzNutz » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:33 pm

Welcome!
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DSM_Lara » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:08 pm

As we say in Hawaii "E Komo Mai" Image to Solaraguy.
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby baxterdan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:41 am

In response to toy1mzfe, It's been a while since i cut them but I cut them where the spring coils are equal length so that once they were cut they would still sit properly into the spring plate on the strut (I beleive it was the top of the spring). It sits great, both fenders cover the top 1/4 inch of the tires which is the same as the rear (i'm running 225/45/18) and the ride is close to stock. The only thing I had to do to compensate was to cut the bump stops other wise I would only have an inch or so of travel.
baxterdan
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby NVDIS1 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:16 pm

welcome back :D
Gen1 - modded a lil
05 Gti- Apr Stage 1-R1 Dv-badglss-coils-hids-Gr8 plates-endlinks-bosr'd-shav'd-R32 projectors-orange 18s-stretch'd tires-20th lip-dronemble
NVDIS1
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Jabraltar » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:13 pm

Wow, I think you're by far the closest person on this forum to me. Even though Burlington's like 2 hours from me :lol:
Gen 1:Custom stainless catback exhaust,Injen SRI..NGK Iridium plugs,2 10'' Kicker subs in Kicker box,Alpine door speakers, Kicker rear deck speakers,Pioneer amp,18'', Pioneer H/U, Icon rims with Falken tires,HID's,LED everything
Jabraltar
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby baxterdan » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:54 am

...ya, seems the car scene is pretty weak up here in Canada. The only advantage we have over our US cousins is that we can get the "Japan only" cars 10 years before they can!! We have right hand drive GTR's, Supra's, MR2"s everyehere! While I'm on that note, anyone know what the Japan version of the Solara is called if there is one?
baxterdan
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby CDN_SOL » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:05 pm

There isn't one, the solara is a USDM car only, you wont find them in Japan. Im in Toronto so heres another Canuck, So did u essentially cut one coil from either side of the front springs? cuz i have the same problem on my lara with tein stechs
2003 DIAMOND WHITE PEARL SOLARA 2AZ-FE
CUSTOM MAGNAFLOW SS CATBACK || 28% TINT ALL AROUND || 2-12's with DVD INDASH || 5ZIGEN RIMS (Upgrading to 18s or 19s) || TEIN S-TECH & TOKICO BLUE || TRD RSB (Best MOD!) || TRD LIP KIT IN THE WORKS
CDN_SOL
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby baxterdan » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:05 am

Ya essentially I cut 1 coil out of each. I have had experiences in the past where I have cut 1 coil out (in this case it was an S10) and all of a sudden it was sitting on the bump stops! To do it right I take a quarter out at a time until it is sitting the same as the rear. If you are good with the torch and have ample water available you can do this without taking the struts out. I found the Solara didn't have enough room up top and i had to remove the struts. It took a couple tries but after taking 3/4 of a coil off each side they were sitting level.
baxterdan
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Introductions