[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - help! wanting a system a couple qustions tho!
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

help! wanting a system a couple qustions tho!

help! wanting a system a couple qustions tho!

Postby robh32 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:59 am

ok so I just got subs for my birthday, they are Rockford R1l's. theyre 2 10's with a enclosure. my car is a 99 sle v6 and has the jbl system with the amp under the glove box to power the speakers and the factory head unit. what I want to know is what kind of deck would I need and what kind of amp and how much watts. also, how do you hook up the amp for the speakers to the new deck and also hook up the amp for the subs? im confussed help plzz
robh32
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: help! wanting a system a couple qustions tho!

Postby ACProductions » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:41 pm

Okay let's see if I get this correctly.

1. You want to find a new deck.
Find any deck that suites your tastes, requirements (in terms of wattage per channel and rcas) and form factors (single, 1.5, and double din)

2. You are wondering about interfacing the stock amplifier
IIRC you shouldn't have to worry about that, when you install the new deck with the adapter harness it'll still provide power and input signal to operate the amp.

3. You want to find an amp suited for your subs.
I'm assuming these aren't new subs so take your model number and look up your RMS wattage (this is the primary wattage your subs will play at all the time. The wattage number they usually list is the PEAK wattage which is not the ideal number to determine your amp) Also resistance of the subs is important. 2 Ohms and 4 Ohms are the most common. Finally you want a 2 channel amp or a monoblock amp.

4. You want to know how to install an amp.
Not that difficult, go and buy an amp install kit at Bestbuy (4 gauge fyi) It should come with a long length of 4ga power wire (usually red) a short length of 4ga ground wire (usually black), as well as a 60amp fuse block (This is a mandatory), and finally a long length of RCA cables (just like your standard red and white audio cable for your tv)

You run the power wire from the battery to the amp (this involves taking some of the interior out to run the wire). Install the amp in a location that is not on the box itself, install the ground wire and figure out a place to attach the ground (make sure you sand down the paint in the area to make sure there is a good electrical connection).

Assuming you have already installed the deck, simply plug in the RCAs and run them back towards the amp (once again some interior will have to be removed. Also try not to run the rca's with the power wire in order to reduce interference)

Now you have your amp all wired up. In order to figure your wire configuration from amp to subs you'll need to determine the resistance of the subs and the amp.

That should be the jist of it. Hopefully you're neither inept or retarded and can handle this without flippin up. If you have doubts, have someone knowledgeable help you
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

The speed at which a woman says "nothing" when you ask her what's wrong is inversely proportional to the size of the coming storm.

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby robh32 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:36 pm

but doesn't the factory amp sound like crap with a aftermarket deck? that's what ive heard and read on here. if I just wanted to bypass the factory amp and plug my speakers directly into the deck could I do so? would I need like a 8 channel deck for all the speakers and the subs? and the subs are brand new there also 2 OHms
robh32
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby robh32 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:12 pm

anyone????
robh32
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby red2ksolara » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:15 pm

The new wiring harness will bypass the factory amp.
red2ksolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby robh32 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:53 pm

oh and if I have 2 front speakers with tweeters and two rear speakers will I need a certain kinda deck or does it matter? m really new to this stuff sorry:(
robh32
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 1BADGTS » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:01 pm

No, it won't matter what kind of deck as long as you get the plug and play harness for the car. People get very concerned about eliminating the factory amp and having to cut and splice the cars wiring harness, you dont have to do that !! The factory JBL amp is installed secondary, so the wiring harness for the amp is a add in as well. It plugs into the radio loops down to the amp and runs right back up to the plug in for your speaker connector, which is right behind the OEM radio. So, when you buy the Plug & Play harness for your new aftermarket deck it will plug directly into the speakers and by-pass the factory amp with no cutting or splicing of your cars wiring harness. It's really pretty simple !!
****THE FLEET****
2001 Toyota Highlander Limited V6 - "The Wifes"
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 5 Speed - Family Pimp Ride
1993 Toyota Celica GT-Four R/C Clone - Weekend Fun
1987 Toyota Supra Turbo 5 Speed Sport Roof - Just Because !!
1BADGTS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby robh32 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:39 pm

thanks bro!! i got it all hooked up now im just looking for a amp! any thoughts ?? needa power two rockford 10's
robh32
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby sle-pur » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:01 pm

Love my 600 watt kicker mono d block
sle-pur
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby robh32 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:04 pm

how much do those go for?
robh32
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby sle-pur » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:32 pm

Picked mine up from a buddy used for 100$ it rattles my 2 mtx thunder 10s and bumper and tail lights
sle-pur
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby robh32 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:34 pm

damn i wish i could find a deal like that. i only got about 150 for this amp
robh32
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 1BADGTS » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:06 pm

You want to find out the part number of the subs you have, find the specs on the subs and try to match the RMS rating of your subs with the RMS rating of the amp you want to get. You maybe surprised to find that you can get something with the proper rating for cheap !! Matching the amp to subs will help your sound quality and reliability. Too many people spend alot of money for a HUGE amp that doesn't match their speaker quality. This makes for wasted money and poor sound, also makes the system unreliable.
****THE FLEET****
2001 Toyota Highlander Limited V6 - "The Wifes"
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 5 Speed - Family Pimp Ride
1993 Toyota Celica GT-Four R/C Clone - Weekend Fun
1987 Toyota Supra Turbo 5 Speed Sport Roof - Just Because !!
1BADGTS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby robh32 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:39 pm

thankyou that helps me alot!
robh32
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5