[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Need help planning JBL H/U & speaker replacement
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Need help planning JBL H/U & speaker replacement

Need help planning JBL H/U & speaker replacement

Postby Big_T » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:11 pm

I own a 2001 Solara SLE v6 Coupe, and I'm planning on replacing the JBL H/U with something a bit newer, and with more features. I have a few questions, and would appreciate some guidance from the Solaraguy community.

I'm pretty clear on the steps involved in removing the existing radio, and I'm going with a double din model for my new head unit, so I wont need a conversion. My confusion arises when it comes to connecting the new H/U to the existing speakers in my car. I know that it's not recommended to use the existing JBL amp with an aftermarket H/U, and so I was wondering if it was possible to either replace the JBL amp with an aftermarket amp or simply bypass the amp and run my stock speakers directly off of the 50w outs on the new H/U. In either case, I need to know where the JBL amp is located.

Now, on to my next issue. I think I also have a blown speaker in the back, but I'm not sure if it's a blown speaker or a blown sub. Does the Coupe have a sub? If so, where is it and how do I gain access to it. If I don't have a sub, or I have a blown rear tweeter not a blown sub, I'd also like a little guidance on how to remove the rear speakers. Also, what size are the rear speakers, I know the front ones are 6 3/4'' Finally, I am planning on replacing the front speakers, eventually, and just wondering how to gain access to the speaker compartment in the door. I know that, ideally, I should just replace the H/U, amp, and speakers simultaneously, and I may end up doing that, but I would prefer to do the audio upgrades in stages. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Big_T
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Need help planning JBL H/U & speaker replacement

Postby KingKevin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:55 pm

Well I'm not very knowledgeable in these kind of things, but since I see that nobody has replied I will attempt to help you lol.

I don't think you should hook up the head unit to the JBL amp and I think that it would be alright to power the speakers from the head unit. My friend has done this so I know it works. The only problem is that I don't know the wattage of your head unit. I know it's advertised as 50W max but thats the same for almost every headunit and from what i understand really doesnt mean anything. What you really have to look at is the RMS wattage.

As for the blown sub/speaker I'm pretty sure that it comes with an 8" sub so you could check that. Unfortunately I do not know where it is located :-?

Good luck!
2001 SE V6

Injen intake w/ extension - Renova Grill - custom catback exhaust - 2 12" Kenwood subs - Tein s tech - neons - 8000k headlights - 3000k fogs
KingKevin
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Need help planning JBL H/U & speaker replacement

Postby St.Anton » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:01 pm

The stock headunit will be connected to one wire harness. There will be 2 wire harnesses available to bypass the JBL amp. When you buy a wire harness for installation, it will be for the 2 harnesses for bypassing.

As I understand it, only the convertible has a stock subwoofer.
St.Anton
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5