[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - StreetWires are horribly constructed
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

StreetWires are horribly constructed

StreetWires are horribly constructed

Postby kronos98 » Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:35 am

In June I bought a StreetWires power wire kit from Crutchfield on the recommendation of one of their salesmen. I installed it without any problems.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that the rubber seal around the in-line fuse was beginning to deteriorate. I knew I wouldn't be messing with it too much, so I thought it'd be fine to just leave alone.

This morning, I went to my car to remove the fuse so I could unhook my amp. To my utter dismay, the short wire between the positive battery post and the in-line fuse fell out of the fuse holder.

Had the wire fallen out while I was driving, I would have had a bare wire flailing around in my engine compartment connected directly to my positive battery post.

I called Crutchfield, and the technical support representative authorized me for an exchange. As I was explaining what had happened to him, however, he gave me a rather insulting attitude, commenting on how this sort of thing doesn't just happen. He seemed to insinuate that I had somehow broken the wire. I cooly explained that I had mounted the fuse-housing to my battery, so that section of the wire would not have been exposed to any stress or strain. He remarked that "you can't mount it to the battery." I said, "Fine. NOT the battery. There's a bar that goes over the battery, so I zip-tied it to THAT."

Anyhow, I continued by asking if I could switch to a different brand. He told me he wasn't allowed to let me get a different set of wires. I asked him what would happen if the same sort of thing happened again, and his response was rather appalling. He told me it was impossible and that this sort of thing never happens. IT HAPPENED TO ME! What in the world is he talking about??

Anyways, I've got a problem now. I don't have a problem with the whole wire kit, but I can't just return the part that is defective. I really want to return the entire thing just out of spite to Crutchfield, but I also don't want to have to fish out the entire wiring kit. I'd have to open up my side panels in my back seat to take off all the zip-ties and unscrew the ground. There is also a hole in a rubber seal in the firewall hole. I'd have to reseal that, too. It's just a pain in the butt to do.

Well, I was going to ask you guys what I should do, but I think I just convinced myself to fix the kit I've got, swallow my pride, and just live with it.

But is it just me, or has anyone else had problems with StreetWires? I thought Crutchfield recommendations were to swear by?
kronos98
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby prophesized » Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:33 pm

i would just return it

order new wires from knukonceptz.com they have good stuff
prophesized
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Gunman » Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:30 pm

After using Monster Cable I'll never use anything but.
Solara's "official" handsome guy.
Gunman
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby c2g » Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:42 pm

I always used monster too but after using the tsunami stuff I think I like it better just my opinion I still have monster in my car but I'm thinkin about switchin
99 silverstream SE V6 18" RSL nengans, Streetglow head and fog lights, Reverse guages,
Kicker L7 12" DVC, MTX amp, panasonic 903U, sirius, shaved emblems, clear corners,
altezza tails, K&N filter, mesh upper & lower grill so far
c2g
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby HKSV6SLE » Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:11 am

i think yuou shuld call crutchfield back..ask to talk to a supervisor or manager and explain it again..if they even cre about your business they should send you the piece that's defective so you shouldn't have to take all the wiring back out....usually if u talk to someone that has some real power then it should fix everything..if not i would take it out...and send it back to them....i dunno how street wire is...but i got rockford fosgate wire in my car so.....
2008 LEXUS IS350 SGM
www.lexusnet.com
HKSV6SLE
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby swimshady906 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:27 pm

i am going to have to agree with Gunman on this. i've used both Phonex Gold and Monster Cable and i like MC better. everything holds together well. im sorry to hear about the guys at crutchfield treating you like that. :(
02' S2000 Silverstone
00' SE V6 Silverstream - sold :(

We race because Basketball, Baseball, Football and Soccer only require one ball.
swimshady906
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5