[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Issues after accident
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Issues after accident

Issues after accident

Postby Billdo » Mon May 26, 2014 6:50 pm

Hey guys. Got a couple issues after a fender bender a few weeks ago. Long story short I rear ended someone resulting in a broken grille, replaced the hood, driver headlight and corner, and the hood latch. The radiator support needed to be pulled out as well on the top. Everything gets reassembled after 3 weeks of sitting. Drove it a bit today and it makes a weird squeal at idle with low RPMs. There has been an idle issue prior to the accident but no squeal. The squeal sounds like the belts but its a lower noise, not as high pitched as a typical belt squeal. Disappears when driving though. Any ideas? Just runs a bit rougher than I remember in general. No leaks anywhere.
Billdo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Issues after accident

Postby crankine3 » Mon May 26, 2014 9:06 pm

Have you tried spraying the exposed belts with belt conditioner? If that makes any difference it is a belt. Though you said it was mostly the drivers side, be sure to check if anything came into contact with the alternator.

Did the exhaust pipe take a hit from the front or bottom? Have you checked for a leak? (Though, I don't think this would be a small "squeal")

Though just to also cover the bases for the rest who follow up ... any relation to the following:
differences with A/C on (set to cold) and A/C off? going over slightly ruff concrete / small bumps? going over big bumps? driving while applying no breaks? applying little brake pressure? hard breaking? Does it only come on after the car has gotten up to temp (167 F for gen 1)?
crankine3
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Billdo » Tue May 27, 2014 5:40 am

Well now I just feel silly. After looking around a bit, thankfully the squeak is just coming from the hood squeaking in the latch. The hood is fully tightened and everything and sits perfectly in the latch. Just have to figure out how to get it to stop squealing. Any ideas? Was thinking a thick silicone grease. Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Billdo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby crankine3 » Tue May 27, 2014 4:29 pm

I know that squeak way too bad. Due to unfixable dents, I replaced my hood with another junk yard one ... and I'll tighten and adjust the hod to be a millimeter over this way or a millimeter that way. And things will be fixed for like two weeks then come back. I confirmed it was the hood by driving with the hood off a bit. I am very curious to see a solution to this. If it wasn't for my adventures with emissions testing last week, I was going to try more things. Maybe this weekend.
crankine3
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Billdo » Tue May 27, 2014 6:34 pm

Well I know its only been a few hours but I spent a bit of time adjusting the bumper things on the radiator support and greased up the latch on the hood itself. All is quiet for now. Anything I read online today said to use white lithium grease on the hood latch part and it seems to have albeit for a short amount of time thus far.
Billdo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5