[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Replace Brake Booster/Master Cylinder Gasket
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Replace Brake Booster/Master Cylinder Gasket

Replace Brake Booster/Master Cylinder Gasket

Postby PaulR » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:08 am

Hi everyone,

I have a 1999 Solara V6. I am having an issue with the brakes being weaker than normal and the car wanting to move at a stoplight unless you really down the pedal (I know this is normal for Toyotas, but it's worse than normal). I did the tests for the brake booster and found that it is not holding air correctly when I do the tests. I also hear a hissing sound when I turn off the car, don't know if that's related? Before I replace the entire brake booster, I saw that some people on this forum simply replaced the brake booster to master cylinder gasket. I have a Haynes manual, and it doesn't provide instructions to replace the gasket, only remove the brake booster. Can I remove the two bolts that hold the master cylinder to the brake booster, slide on the new gasket, and bolt it back in without messing with the brake lines and bleeding the brakes? If so, is there a special grease I should use on this gasket?

Thanks for your help in advance.
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Replace Brake Booster/Master Cylinder Gasket

Postby kaarona1 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:54 am

kaarona1
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby PaulR » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:40 am

Thanks for your response. I replaced the gasket a while back and it's a little better, but not perfect.
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby sliDingSolAra... » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:29 pm

PaulR wrote:

Thanks for your response. I replaced the gasket a while back and it's a little better, but not perfect.

might be a defective check valve, or hose if you hear hissing. check the hose coming on the booster going to the engine (one with the check valve)
hope this helps!
02 5spd Engine scattered, working on a 3MZ S/C set-up
sliDingSolAra...
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby PaulR » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:03 pm

sliDingSolAra... wrote:
PaulR wrote:

might be a defective check valve, or hose if you hear hissing. check the hose coming on the booster going to the engine (one with the check valve)
hope this helps!

Thanks for your help! Next time I get a chance I'll check the hoses in that area.
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5