[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 02 solara sle doesn't beep when alarm arms or disarms
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

02 solara sle doesn't beep when alarm arms or disarms

02 solara sle doesn't beep when alarm arms or disarms

Postby feniks » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:46 pm

does anybody know where I can get a User Guide for factory Solara gen1.5 alarm system mounted on SLE V6 model ?

since I bought this car in Summer I cannot figure it out if it's supposed to beep or not (it doesn't) when I lock/unlock doors with remote key fob. I surely have an alarm, because I alarm goes off when I lock the car (arming alarm) and open doors from inside. ... so should it beep/chirp when (dis)arming it? does yours do that (or used to)?

car in question is 2002 Solara SLE V6.
Obviously alarm system on this car is different than on my other '00 solara SE (which uses Toyota VIP RS3000 alarm - dealer installed, I have manuals for that).

I found this thread, but people didn't solve the riddle, some seemed to have exact same problem, but hard to tell how many of them were using aftermarket alarm systems.
http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21896

I also found this handy dandy TSB listing all remotes for different Toyota models and names of alarm system, but it's quite mysterious as per 02-03 SLE model. anyways it helped me get a matching pair of remote key fobs from ebay, but I can't find the manual (user guide) for that alarm anywhere.
Last edited by feniks on Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'02 Solara SLE 1MZ-FE/A541E Coupe .: Denso : Akebono SP : HIR :. @ 125k
'00 Solara SE 5S-FE/A140E Coupe .: NGK : Hawk HPS : Philips Xtreme : RC : Magnefine :. @ 79k
feniks
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: 02 solara sle doesn't beep when alarm arms or disarms

Postby DSM_Lara » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:11 pm

Is your alarm stock? I just got a Viper alarm and I know I can set it to not have any chirps with locking or unlocking.
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby feniks » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:18 pm

DSM_Lara wrote:Is your alarm stock? I just got a Viper alarm and I know I can set it to not have any chirps with locking or unlocking.

yes, it is stock (factory installed, there was no dealer installed option for 02-03 solaras per TSB):
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/skyvi ... toyota.pdf
'00 Solara SE 5S-FE/A140E Coupe .: NGK : Hawk HPS : Philips Xtreme : RC : Magnefine :. @ 79k
feniks
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 02slera » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:26 am

yea mine does not beep either but it is supposed to. apparently it is a common problem. there is a procedure in your owners manual for turning the beep function on or off, but mine does not work at all. also if you disconnect the battery i believe it should default to turn the beep on, but if its messed up then i dont think there is anything you can do except take it to the dealer. i was questioning this same thing and a month ago i saw a stock gen 1.5 in a parking lot and when the girl came out of chic fil a she hit the button and the car did beep. its not the horn that beeps either, it makes the same sound as my dads 2010 corolla, a high pitched beep.
2002 Solara SLE v6
02slera
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DSM_Lara » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:25 am

^^^ Did you get her #?
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby feniks » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:16 am

02slera wrote:yea mine does not beep either but it is supposed to. apparently it is a common problem. there is a procedure in your owners manual for turning the beep function on or off, but mine does not work at all. also if you disconnect the battery i believe it should default to turn the beep on, but if its messed up then i dont think there is anything you can do except take it to the dealer. i was questioning this same thing and a month ago i saw a stock gen 1.5 in a parking lot and when the girl came out of chic fil a she hit the button and the car did beep. its not the horn that beeps either, it makes the same sound as my dads 2010 corolla, a high pitched beep.

all right thanks man.

I will look into manual for the procedure, but i doubt it works as I have reset the battery numerous times when working on car in past and it never beeped. I believe the alarm chirper (small siren) is faulty, but I have no idea where it was mounted or even how it looks alike on this model.

my 2000 has that small round red plastic thingy zip tied in front of radiator, but 2002 doesn't have it. though I found a third horn (while 2000 has only 2 of them) lcoated on passenger side by the hood hinge (near DLC1 diagnostic connector).
feniks
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby feniks » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:41 pm

OK, I found instruction in my 2002 Solara Owner's Manual. This is what it says to the letter (and it's wrong):

To switch the beep on and off:
With the driver's door opened-
1. Insert the ignition key and remove it.
2. Within 5 seconds, insert the ignition key again and turn it to the "ON" position. (this is wrong, you NEED to turn it to ACC position actually, so the door buzzer keeps chiming)
3. After 10 seconds, push the same "LOCK", "UNLOCK", "PANIC" or trunk opener switch twice within 10 seconds.
Two beep sounds inform you that the program has been switched on or off.

Now, the procedure will NOT work if you turn the ignition key to ON position (tried it and failed 3 times), but it WILL work (you get confirmation) when you turn the key to ACC position as noted in step 2 in italics.
However it seems my alarm lock/unlock chirper is faulty as I don't get any beeps from it and my confirmation looks like regular 2 flashes of lights (no beep still)... so the chirper is bad, but where the hell is it located on the car, anybody know?
feniks
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby supraguy17 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:46 pm

I'm pretty sure there is no cherp.. The same 2 flashes of the corner lights is whats the conformation in mine..
1998 Mistsubishi Eclipse GS-T: Too many mods to list.
supraguy17
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 02slera » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:38 pm

ive heard that the device is located in the passenger side fender above and behind the wheel. ive also heard that the problem is usually that the device is not getting a signal telling it to beep, not that it is broken and cant beep, but good luck to you.

you say you found 3 horns? one in front of the radiator, one under the hood all the way towards the passenger hood hinge, and one in the drivers side fender? thats where i found them on mine but my car was wrecked before i bought it so things could be mixed up.
2002 Solara SLE v6
02slera
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 02slera » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:44 pm

DSM_Lara wrote:^^^ Did you get her #?

Haha no i didnt, i was in no condition to make a move. i get pretty nasty at work sometimes. she was cute though. im pretty sure ill see her again :)
2002 Solara SLE v6
02slera
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby feniks » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:49 pm

02slera wrote:ive heard that the device is located in the passenger side fender above and behind the wheel. ive also heard that the problem is usually that the device is not getting a signal telling it to beep, not that it is broken and cant beep, but good luck to you.

you say you found 3 horns? one in front of the radiator, one under the hood all the way towards the passenger hood hinge, and one in the drivers side fender? thats where i found them on mine but my car was wrecked before i bought it so things could be mixed up.

thanks for insights. I actually bought this car with hidden damage to electrical wire harness and hot wired lights, a/c, alternator, fans and so on. It also had the front bumper and passenger fender replaced (noticed it after purchase).

I ended up replacing the front end wiring harness (along with missing washer fluid pump and sensor LOL!) and there is nothing in passenger fender that looks like a chirper... BUT! there is one spot with empty holes (I got nothing in there) where something could have been (before prev owner's "incident" which was not listed in Autocheck nor it went through insurance). I also have one free wiring harness plug over there, small 2 wire plug, for a chirper? that area is literally right below passenger side headlight and above the washer tank (further towards front, like kinda behind bumper, but still in fender if you know what I mean).

I called dealer asking what there might have been originally, but they couldn't tell because the same p/n front wiring harness (the one that goes also through all under hood fuse boxes too) could have been used on different cars/models/years blah blah ... and they don't know and it's possible there was nothing supposed to be on this car. lame!

now if only someone with "original" car could check that area, maybe there is a chirper, simply unplugged (loose connector by design?).

and yeah, I have 3 horns, in exactly those spots you mentioned (2 regular horns, one in center of radiator and another above driver side fog light), the extra one (my other '00 solara doesn't have this one) by passenger side hood hinge is I think an alarm siren for factory alarm, but haven't double checked it yet with a multimeter.
Last edited by feniks on Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feniks
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby feniks » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:08 pm

I have just double-checked part name of 3rd horn (by passenger hood hinge) and it's called a Security Horn in OEM catalog, picture shows it located over there, so this is the horn that honks when alarm goes off.

Now if I could only find a damn alarm chirper/buzzer location to make sure ...
feniks
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 02slera » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:34 pm

so that horn blows when the alarm goes off, but is not what should be making noise when the car is simply locked or unlocked? that would make sense, i need to dig into my fender tomorrow. heres my original thread on the subject: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47353&hilit=keyless+entry

this is pulled from one of the responses i recieved, what your looking for is:
PIEZO "CHIRPER"
This device produces a soft "chirp" sound when the RS3000 is ARMED or DISARMED. It also produces sound for the DOOR AJAR WARNING, and chirps to confirm function programming changes.
The PEIZO "CHIRPER" emits a continuous sound for up to 10 seconds when the user attempts to REMOTE ARM the system while a door, trunk or hatch is open.
2002 Solara SLE v6
02slera
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby feniks » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:26 pm

02slera wrote:so that horn blows when the alarm goes off, but is not what should be making noise when the car is simply locked or unlocked? that would make sense, i need to dig into my fender tomorrow. heres my original thread on the subject: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47353&hilit=keyless+entry

yes. please post back with your findings once you check passenger fender.
I will look through your thread soon, good you linking this stuff, might be easier for someone else. I hope we solve it ultimately, it's an annoying issue.

this is pulled from one of the responses i recieved, what your looking for is:
PIEZO "CHIRPER"
This device produces a soft "chirp" sound when the RS3000 is ARMED or DISARMED. It also produces sound for the DOOR AJAR WARNING, and chirps to confirm function programming changes.
The PEIZO "CHIRPER" emits a continuous sound for up to 10 seconds when the user attempts to REMOTE ARM the system while a door, trunk or hatch is open.

yup, that's what is used on dealer installed alarms on solaras 99-01, that alarm is Toyota VIP RS3000 (have it on my wife's ride). it uses different remote key fobs (refer to TSB I posted above for drawings) and ECU is different (Fujitsu-Ten).

browsed toyodiy.com and I think I found the part number of piezo chirper for solara 02-03. General OEM diagrams show it in same (wrong) spot as for 99-01 solara (which is not real location either), so no help for pinpointing it on car.

anyways that's what pops up for 02-03 solara:
Toyota Part 89747-51010
OEM Toyota BUZZER, WIRELESS DOOR LOCK

a Wireless Door Buzzer is I think how they call it in OEM catalog for gen1.5 solara.
Last edited by feniks on Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feniks
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby feniks » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:27 pm

this is a copy of OEM catalog showing receiver and buzzer (not security horn!) for factory installed alarm on solara 02-03. seems like we are looking for something shaped like the item at bottom:
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5175 ... buzzer.jpg

just read the thread you linked and realized WHAT I am missing above the washer tank (have a free wiring harness plug over there) LOL :lol:
TLMNICK wrote:
02slera wrote:bump PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE THE BEEP COMES FROM i know alot of you guys are mechanics... whats up with this keyless entry?

The little "beeper" is located inside the passenger fender right by the windshield washer reservoir.

(from linked thread)

seems like I will be buying the damn beeper (part number above) soon from online OEM dealers haha and plug it into that free connector and see what comes up ;)
feniks
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Next

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5