[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - All new suspension, aligned. STILL pulls/drifts to left.
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

All new suspension, aligned. STILL pulls/drifts to left.

All new suspension, aligned. STILL pulls/drifts to left.

Postby xan16 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:21 pm

Okay guys, to make a long story short, here's what's happened.

-Bought all new suspension (Tokico Struts, Eibach Springs, KYB mounts (all 4)
-Installed
-Tires rotated & balanced (at Big O)
-4 wheel alignment

Car seems fine, till I make a left turn, then it feels like the car pulls/drifts to the left. After a right turn, drives straight as an arrow until another left turn is made, then the "pull" returns. I can see it in the steering wheel, after the left turn, the wheel turns left a couple of degrees.

Took it back to Big O thinking tire problem, tires examined, even rotated again. Problem persists. They suggested one had a radial pull, so I got a new driver side front tire (free). (treads are within 1/32 of each other) Seemed fine.

Drove it the next day, problem returned. This occurs with and without passengers other than me in the car.

Now they suggest it could be rack & pinion sticking (wouldn't this work both ways?) but the rest of the front end looks good, according to two Big O stores.

Tire pressures are all in check.

What could cause a left "pull" only after a left turn (and persists until a right turn is made, then seems fine)?

Asking you guys before I'm back in town this weekend to see my mechanic. Any input would be appreciated.
2000 Solara SE V6. Autumn Red Mica
[ Eibach lowering springs | Tokico struts | 17x8 wheels | custom exhaust | tint | etc... ]
xan16
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 5842solara » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:59 pm

could be some different things. are you breaking on turns.. can be a sticking caliper. needs a rebuild.

you say tires pressure are good.. but what about balancing?

could be couple others but this the things i can think of that should check first
5842solara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: All new suspension, aligned. STILL pulls/drifts to left.

Postby Gregtrd » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:03 am

so you say that your car runs as straight as an arrow but when you turn you encounter a problem sound like the rack and pinion is the problem.

xan16 wrote:Okay guys, to make a long story short, here's what's happened.

-Bought all new suspension (Tokico Struts, Eibach Springs, KYB mounts (all 4)
-Installed
-Tires rotated & balanced (at Big O)
-4 wheel alignment

Car seems fine, till I make a left turn, then it feels like the car pulls/drifts to the left. After a right turn, drives straight as an arrow until another left turn is made, then the "pull" returns. I can see it in the steering wheel, after the left turn, the wheel turns left a couple of degrees.

Took it back to Big O thinking tire problem, tires examined, even rotated again. Problem persists. They suggested one had a radial pull, so I got a new driver side front tire (free). (treads are within 1/32 of each other) Seemed fine.

Drove it the next day, problem returned. This occurs with and without passengers other than me in the car.

Now they suggest it could be rack & pinion sticking (wouldn't this work both ways?) but the rest of the front end looks good, according to two Big O stores.

Tire pressures are all in check.

What could cause a left "pull" only after a left turn (and persists until a right turn is made, then seems fine)?

Asking you guys before I'm back in town this weekend to see my mechanic. Any input would be appreciated.
The Fastest Camry in Socal
366whp / 427wtq @10.5psi
Gregtrd
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

g

Postby Gregtrd » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:11 am

doubt that it would be the calipers because the problem would occur when he applies the the brake weather he turns or drives straight.

5842solara wrote:could be some different things. are you breaking on turns.. can be a sticking caliper. needs a rebuild.

you say tires pressure are good.. but what about balancing?

could be couple others but this the things i can think of that should check first

what other things?
366whp / 427wtq @10.5psi
Gregtrd
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Re: g

Postby xan16 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:12 am

Gregtrd wrote:doubt that it would be the calipers because the problem would occur when he applies the the brake weather he turns or drives straight.

This. Tires were rotated AND balanced. Only happens after left turns. Right turns fix it.
[ Eibach lowering springs | Tokico struts | 17x8 wheels | custom exhaust | tint | etc... ]
xan16
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby samspooch » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:54 am

Did big o install the bearings in front strut towers correctly. Guess they can be put in the with the wrong side up or maybe tightened the strut bolt to tight so the bearing wont turn freely and hangs up.
samspooch
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SleeperSolara » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:01 am

"5842solara" - Stickin' calipers won't affect your turnin' of the car.
It will only affect your acceleration.
How do i know, cause i had a driver caliper lock up on me.

"samspooch" - Left or right strut mounts are the same they only install one way.
The strut mount and strut piston have a notch, it's suppose to hook up together and not move.
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby xan16 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:26 am

Hah Big O didn't install my suspension, I only trust my mechanic for stuff like that (cheaper too).

So this is where I'm at. It's not the brakes/calipers, it's not the tires, it's not the suspension. Would this rule out everything except the rack & pinion? I'd hate to buy some $200-$300 part and put it on and have the problem persist. Any other possibilities?
xan16
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby alltrac92 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:05 am

Have you ruled out a possible defective KYB strut mount? I would of stuck with new OEM mounts.
alltrac92
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby samspooch » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:00 pm

"sleepersolara" The front sturt mounts do have a brearing in each mount and if you notice when you turn the front wheels the whole front strut turns also, they are not fixed in one position like the back struts, and if they torqed the center strut bolt to tight it may squeze the bearing to much and cause it to not turn smoothly.
samspooch
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 02slera » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:56 pm

i've searched this issue... found a couple possibilities:
option 1)the problem resides in the springs and that the mechanic needs to rotate the spring within the perch 1/4" to fix the left pull.

(in this case, you make a left turn, the right side of the car goes down a little and left side goes up a little; this theory says that one of those is sticking.)

option 2)mechanic needs to remove the struts, compress the springs, and move the upper insulator 25MM
counter clockwise.

(i guess this follows the first option being a suspension problem still)

if not suspension i would think rack and pinion. that is assuming its not the tires, alignment, or non-flat driving surface causing your problem.
2002 Solara SLE v6
02slera
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby xan16 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:22 pm

02slera wrote:i've searched this issue... found a couple possibilities:
option 1)the problem resides in the springs and that the mechanic needs to rotate the spring within the perch 1/4" to fix the left pull.

(in this case, you make a left turn, the right side of the car goes down a little and left side goes up a little; this theory says that one of those is sticking.)

option 2)mechanic needs to remove the struts, compress the springs, and move the upper insulator 25MM
counter clockwise.

if not suspension i would think rack and pinion. that is assuming its not the tires, alignment, or non-flat driving surface causing your problem.

Thanks for your time researching this.

For option 1, it would seem like brand-new Eibach springs wouldn't have a sticking problem. Would turning left very slowly on level road be a way to test this (since the car wouldn't lean)?

For option 2, what makes you think that would make a difference?

For information, these struts were taken down (taken apart) and examined and then put back up. Basically installed twice.
xan16
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby solara90 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:57 pm

what about possibility of sticky A-arm bushings. can cause misalignment and would change after turns. Also id ask it they inspected the whole suspension system before doing the alignment. Shocks, springs, tie rods.. etc
02 solara 2az

solara90
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

s

Postby Gregtrd » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:12 pm

If you don't line up the strut caps trust me you'll know because you'll hear them rattling when you're driving on a bumpy road, even if they're not aligned that wouldn't make the car pull either way, I know from experience.

sampling wrote:"sleepers" The front start mounts do have a brearing in each mount and if you notice when you turn the front wheels the whole front strut turns also, they are not fixed in one position like the back struts, and if they torqed the center strut bolt to tight it may squeze the bearing to much and cause it to not turn smoothly.
366whp / 427wtq @10.5psi
Gregtrd
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby 02slera » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:15 pm

xan16 wrote:
02slera wrote:i've searched this issue... found a couple possibilities:

counter clockwise.

Thanks for your time researching this.

For option 1, it would seem like brand-new Eibach springs wouldn't have a sticking problem. Would turning left very slowly on level road be a way to test this (since the car wouldn't lean)?

For option 2, what makes you think that would make a difference?

For information, these struts were taken down (taken apart) and examined and then put back up. Basically installed twice.

Really i didnt say either one would make a difference, its just what i found. i personally dont know much at all about struts. it seems that the answers i found were saying you could rotate the spring or something the springs rests in/on.? i don't know.
2002 Solara SLE v6
02slera
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5