[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - P0441 and P0446
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

P0441 and P0446

P0441 and P0446

Postby mazen222 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:37 pm

I had my check engine come on randomly, but it goes away after i drive on high rpm for a while... but then, it comes back on after a couple of days.

So i went to a friends garage and he checked the codes for me, come out as
P0441 and P0446

He told me that it means my engine is dirty and needs cleaning... best way to do this is by filling up with suprem gas for a while and putting in those cleaning liquids.

What do you guys think? what do these codes really mean and what shoul i do?

Thanks!
mazen222
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Ruski » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:40 pm

WOW a magic Trick Use the search function
http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=16121
Read up that codes .. then go from there if you want to clean your insides use Sea Foam once agian Search it
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby mazen222 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:41 pm

i did this already mr rusk... thanks for your help

i need tips/opinions on HOW TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM

P0441 – EVAP Control System - incorrect purge flow
· Open or short in VSV circuit for EVAP
· VSV for EVAP
· Open or short in vapor pressure sensor circuit
· Vapor pressure sensor malfunction
· Open or short in VSV circuit for vapor pressure sensor
· Malfunction in VSV for vapor pressure circuit
· Vacuum hose blocked, damaged, or disconnected
· Charcoal canister malfunction

this does not help me
mazen222
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Ruski » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:49 pm

disconnect the battery and see if the code comes back. try this first. now since your friend said your engine is dirty Try sea foam and see if that helps
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ozone » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:34 pm

This is a common code on the Solara and it is a known problem, like the sludge problem. It is most likely your charcoal canister assembly. But to prevent spending that much money on it, you should probably change the gas tank cap first, then work your way through the VSV's etc.

Go to my website at www.ozone1000.com to see my story on this for my wife's Solara. It might help you.

Good luck.
ozone
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mazen222 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:02 pm

ozone wrote:This is a common code on the Solara and it is a known problem, like the sludge problem. It is most likely your charcoal canister assembly. But to prevent spending that much money on it, you should probably change the gas tank cap first, then work your way through the VSV's etc.

Go to my website at www.ozone1000.com to see my story on this for my wife's Solara. It might help you.

Good luck.

thanks man... really helpfull.

nice website btw, very good content
mazen222
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby bronzemaxell » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:29 am

i have the exact same problem on my 99 solara v6 se stick shift, P0441, and sometime P0446, i thought it was the gas cap, so i went to dealer and spent $23 for a new gas cap, it didn't fix the problem, it comes on about 50 to 100 miles after i reset the CEL,
so i bit the bullet and spent $200 on a brand new oem charcoal canister from dealer at bulter toyota online, took me more than an hour to replace the charcoal canister because there isn't much room to work with, it is located under the car, right behind the gas tank, between the two rears wheels. no need to remove anything else like exhaust or control arm, after you remove two 14mm bolts using a swing head ratchet it has enough room to slide out from the passenger sides.
i've driven with the new charcoal canister installed a good 500 miles, and no codes yet.

i read the problem was caused by topping the gas tank, which i did everytime to round off to the nearest dollar and squeezed more miles from single refill. the excess gas after the pump clicked vapors into to the charcoal canister, soaking and shorten the life of the charcoal canister.
now i never top off after the gas pump clicked.

i was thinking just changing the vsv and other purge valve, but i also heard if the charcoal canister is going bad, debris might clog the valve again later. and buy the whole charcoal canister assembly has all the valves included already, asides, separate valves are not cheap either.
Diamond Pearl White V6 SE 5 Speed Manual Transmission, Pure Black headlight with RS6 Bixenon HID projectors retrofit
bronzemaxell
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby that1mexguy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:53 pm

hey well now i'm having the same problem P0446 and I guess I'll have to change the charcoal canister... do any of you happen to have the part number so i can just order it online?? thanks a bunch!
that1mexguy
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby bronzemaxell » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:47 am

that1mexguy wrote:hey well now i'm having the same problem P0446 and I guess I'll have to change the charcoal canister... do any of you happen to have the part number so i can just order it online?? thanks a bunch!

i got mine from online Butler toyota dealer, www.toyotaoemparts.com
i called their 1800 number on web, and gave them my vin#, and told them i needed the charcoal canister, then looked up the part number in their system, and shipped to me in 3 days, $209.87, came in new genuine toyota part, if you were to walk to a toyota parts dept, and ask for a charcoal canister, probably cost $300 after tax. (list price is $279.82)

mine is for manual transmission, 99 V6 SE, part number is 77740-06093
Diamond Pearl White V6 SE 5 Speed Manual Transmission, Pure Black headlight with RS6 Bixenon HID projectors retrofit
bronzemaxell
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby that1mexguy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:47 pm

ok 2 quick questions.... right now i dont have $200 for my ride (sad sad i know) so do you guys think it'd be worth finding a used canister from a wrecked camry as a temporary solution?

if so, do you guys think a Gen4-5 Camry will be compatible?

EDIT: or I found this at the Advance Autozone website, is this it???
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDeta ... 59&PTSet=A
that1mexguy
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Solorange » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:40 pm

I had this code as well. I got as far as buying the charcoal canister and before I installed it, it ended up being that the gas cap was not sealing tightly. So check that first.
1999 Toyota Solara SEV6 5speed
2009 Toyota Highlander Sport
2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Re: P0441 and P0446

Postby Will_treaty15 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:05 am

if the code basically says that your engine is dirty, the best way is take it to a auto mechanic and have them take apart your engine and have them soak all of your parts in their special solvent. It costs about $150 - $200 but it will get rid of the code along with improve the performance of your car.
Will_treaty15
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby aleki2424 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:29 pm

Will_treaty15 wrote:if the code basically says that your engine is dirty, the best way is take it to a auto mechanic and have them take apart your engine and have them soak all of your parts in their special solvent. It costs about $150 - $200 but it will get rid of the code along with improve the performance of your car.

I assume this is a joke. First of all this is a really old thread, so it's highly unlikely that bumping it will have any benefit to OP.

Second, there is no "special solvent" that magically fixes electrical components. This happens to be a fairly common issue pertaining to the Gen 1 EVAP Emissions system and has no relation to "dirty engine parts" as you put it.
I am bring this up lest someone comes along following what you posted.
aleki2424
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 1BADGTS » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:19 pm

It has to be a joke !! Anyone reading that info should disregard it !! I run into this just about everyday and it's a very common issue. If you get a P0441 & P0446 together 8 times out of 10 you are going to find that the Tank By-pass (or vent) VSV on the charcoal canister has stopped working. I've seen alot of Dealers try to sell people a very expensive complete Evap canister (usually cost $300 to $400 for just the part). Sometimes, unfortunetly, this is the case if the canister has an internal leak, but alot of times you can get away with just replacing the Tank By-pass VSV. It is also sold seperately and usually is the root cause and it will only cost @ $80 for the part. You do need a scan tool that can active test systems to verify the problem and to rest codes. If anyone is having issues with this, just PM me and I can send you more info if needed.
****THE FLEET****
2001 Toyota Highlander Limited V6 - "The Wifes"
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 5 Speed - Family Pimp Ride
1993 Toyota Celica GT-Four R/C Clone - Weekend Fun
1987 Toyota Supra Turbo 5 Speed Sport Roof - Just Because !!
1BADGTS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby DSM_Lara » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:55 am

Ok, Just recently this code is popping up and is driving me nuts P0446. I just hate having a check engine light in general when its on. Will try changing out the VSV or check the hoses, or maybe change the gas cap... who knows if that fixes the issue most likely wont be until after the holiday.
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5