[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Traction Control stays OFF. (Wont turn ON)
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Traction Control stays OFF. (Wont turn ON)

Traction Control stays OFF. (Wont turn ON)

Postby poisonspider » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:37 am

I have a 2001 Solara SLE. A few days ago I was going somewhere and I turned OFF my traction control like I normally do. I got to my destination and turn off my car. When I was leaving to go back home I started my vehicle and noticed the dash light that tells me TC was 'off' was still on. I tried tapping the button but it did not respond. I turned the car off and turned it back on and then it worked again. I wanted to check if it would happen again, so once again I shut the vehicle off and started it up again, again the Traction Control is permenantly OFF (the light was on). The button is not sticking so what cuold be happening?
2001 toyota solara
poisonspider
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby woa_its_j3ff » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:45 am

wiring issue? man that is going to rip some $$ outta you.
I had that issue before but it just turned out to be a sensor for me.

why would u turn your traction OFF normally? :-?
where many hate, few will love,
But for those who love,
they'll see what it's like to live.

SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby JavaJoe_2 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:23 am

I really dislike the TC. If I try to accelerate into traffic and I get wheel spin, the TC kicks in and then I'm a sitting duck in traffic.
I do however like it in rain or snow. I lets me know when I've lost traction. But, sometimes you need wheel spin to get out from a stuck position. ie: snow drift!
Got Boost?? :sweet:
JavaJoe_2
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby poisonspider » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:15 pm

woa_its_j3ff wrote:wiring issue? man that is going to rip some $$ outta you.
I had that issue before but it just turned out to be a sensor for me.

why would u turn your traction OFF normally? :-?

I may end up just leaving it
2001 toyota solara
poisonspider
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Traction Control Indicator Light

Postby blondecam » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:50 pm

My Traction Control OFF indicator came on one morning and is def not working, I get a wheel everytime I take off from a stop light. (I never turn it off unless I want to do a donut in the snow, so once or twice a year)

ANYWAY, the same morning, my check engine light came on.

So, it could be some kind of sensor NOT a major malfunction?

I've a 2000 XLE V6 ...

Thanks for any input.
Cam
blondecam
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby sydemoid » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:50 pm

ABS sensor controsl the traction control.... try disconnecting your battery for 15 min, this should reset the ECU. If this doesnt work... look into a falty switch, wiring, or sensors.
Geeks get it done, while Nerds whimper and call for mommie.
sydemoid
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yevhend52 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:05 pm

i had the same problem. if you have a CEL then i would say its an o2 sensor. I dont know why trac off lights up when you have a bad o2 sensor but sanging the sensor solved my trac off problem as well as some other ppl on heere.

I wouldsay go to Autozone and do a free CEL test if its o2 then i can almost guaranty ir will turn off when you fix the o2 sensor

sorry if this is confusing but im tired from triple sessions today
2000 SLE V6
yevhend52
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

02 sensor

Postby blondecam » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:48 am

Autozone said the check engine light was the o2 sensor, I had no idea that would have anything to do with the Traction Control.

I may try disconnecting the battery as well. The sensor is expensive! Is it horrible for me to drive it anyway? Its been on for a least a month - the warning lights drive me insane, but I'm broke so have just been dealing with it.
blondecam
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby yevhend52 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:47 pm

yea i know they are expensive i paid 300 tottal for sensor and labor. I have a California emitions solara so the sensors are more expensive. but as i sai sanging the o2 sensor solved it for me.

By the way can someone tell me how i have a California solara when i live in Mass
2000 SLE V6
yevhend52
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby blondecam » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:51 am

sydemoid wrote:ABS sensor controsl the traction control.... try disconnecting your battery for 15 min, this should reset the ECU. If this doesnt work... look into a falty switch, wiring, or sensors.

WELL, I tried the battery disconnect, it worked for a moment on the engine light but not longer than an hour. :roll:

As far as the TC indicator, it remained off until the first time I really got on it from a complete stop, you could actually feel the delay and jerk in the transmission; I'm assuming the TC was trying to engage; didn't and that's when the light re-alluminated as the car took off.

My Solara is the first car I've ever had with Traction Control and though I'm sure its a handy feature, I'm not bothered by it not working unless its a sign of something more signifigant or will cause further damage.

Surly if I take it to the dealership they will tell me it MUST be fixed, etc.

What do you guys think?
blondecam
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby JavaJoe_2 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:09 pm

The light will turn on when ":o you get on it :o", but should turn back off when the tires stop slipping. If it stays on you might have some issue with it. Although it should not impair driving the car.
JavaJoe_2
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby blondecam » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:36 pm

JavaJoe_2 wrote:The light will turn on when ":o you get on it :o", but should turn back off when the tires stop slipping. If it stays on you might have some issue with it. Although it should not impair driving the car.

Guess I'm just going to take it to the ToYo shop and ensure it IS the O2 causing the engine light and then take it to a local mechanic.

Sheesh, Its ready for a timing belt anyway. I just hate dumping more money into a car that has so many cosmetic flaws. :oops:

Oh well, I can't afford to get a new one, so had better keep this one for as long as I can 8)
blondecam
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby JavaJoe_2 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:58 pm

Most auto parts stores will read the stored codes.
Then go from there, get estimates and recommended mechanics.
Toyota will charge you to read the stored codes.
JavaJoe_2
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ArizonaEagle07 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:30 pm

This may sound weird.
I have the same thing right now.
I called the service center and asked the guy he said its a redundant light (TRAC OFF) that goes off when your check engine light comes on.

So im guessing its like a "hey better go check it out before things become worse".

just my two cents.
RIP: 2000 Toyota Solara SLE
ArizonaEagle07
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby blondecam » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:25 am

ArizonaEagle07 wrote:This may sound weird.
I have the same thing right now.
I called the service center and asked the guy he said its a redundant light (TRAC OFF) that goes off when your check engine light comes on.

So im guessing its like a "hey better go check it out before things become worse".

just my two cents.

Thanks, I guess better safe than sorry. BTW; the pic of your Solara looks exactly like mine, except mine isn't as clean.

Thanks again!
blondecam
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Next

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5