[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - tire sizes on the stock Solara 16's
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

tire sizes on the stock Solara 16's

tire sizes on the stock Solara 16's

Postby funboy102 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:36 pm

Hey guys,

I was using this site, http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html , to figure out what tires would fit the stock 16's, at a lower aspect ratio. The stock tires are 205/60-16. Using that site, I found out that 225/55-16 would only affect the speedometer by 0.2% and 245/50-16 would only affect the speedometer by 0.2% also. So those two tire sizes seem pretty decent, only problem is, do you guys know if 225 and 245 will clear the fender on the Solara? I'm thinking bout getting the 225/55, wider tires and a lower aspect ratio... 245 would be pretty crazy too...

In addition, i'm also wondering will it even fit onto the stock 16's,
these... I don't know the width of these rims and how wide the tires can be

anyone can help? thanks a lot
1999 Solara SE V6 5-Speed PICS! http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=43759
funboy102
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Jon11582 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:52 pm

The stock 15s are 15x6 so the 16's may also be 16x6.

Im pretty sure a 245 will cause a problem, but the 225 may fit. May is the key word. a 205 tire is already 8 inches wide...I'm not sure if a tire much wider would fit on a 6" wide rim. As far as fender clearance, it seems like you can pretty much go as wide as you want since your not dropped.

You also end up paying more for not too much more in the looks or performance department. My suggestion is to stick with stock tire dimensions on stock tires
2000 Black Solara SE
Jon11582
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Suggestion

Postby JMSinMaryland » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:02 pm

I have a 225/55 16 on a 16x7. The 225 is too wide for the wheel and the way it seats would cause my wheels to be scratched if I used a traditional alignment machine. If I could do it again I would have gotten a 215/__/16 and stuck with Yokohama Avid H4 or V4. Jon.
17" Toyota Highlander Limited wheels for sale
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/g ... ed-wheels/
JMSinMaryland
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby crispone » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:04 pm

When you apply that wide a tire on a rim that MIGHT pinch it on, but is not really designed to wear that profile, you will actually effect your contact patch NEGATIVELY from wearing a size or two narrower... I have been through this first hand, and have ofter PINCHED a tire to it's limit, and the outside portion of the tread gets "curled around" into an arc, causing issues in traction, and wear on the tire. You can end up forcing the CENTER portion of the tread to "bow out" and wear much more rapidly then the edges, not to mention the tread-cupping that can make them noisy and effect their ability to perform well.

Usual rule of thumb is, UP ONE SIZE is not an issue... (based on a combined width/sidewall change to keep consistent overall diameter...) potentially TWO SIZES. If you are looking at something MORE than that... (even the TWO SIZE option), you should DEFINITELY tread lightly before jumping in with the change. (i.e.: TRY a tire of such profile. Also, not EVERY TIRE will fit exactly the same for any given profile...)

Just some thoughts...

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby funboy102 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:10 pm

Jon11582 wrote:The stock 15s are 15x6 so the 16's may also be 16x6.

Im pretty sure a 245 will cause a problem, but the 225 may fit. May is the key word. a 205 tire is already 8 inches wide...I'm not sure if a tire much wider would fit on a 6" wide rim. As far as fender clearance, it seems like you can pretty much go as wide as you want since your not dropped.

You also end up paying more for not too much more in the looks or performance department. My suggestion is to stick with stock tire dimensions on stock tires

actually, I am dropped, i'd just recently put on some S-Tech springs... will 225 still clear the fender?

and... you're saying 225 won't give that much more traction than 205 tires? and the lower profile, 55 VS 60, won't reduce sidewall flexing that much?

JMSinMaryland wrote:I have a 225/55 16 on a 16x7. The 225 is too wide for the wheel and the way it seats would cause my wheels to be scratched if I used a traditional alignment machine. If I could do it again I would have gotten a 215/__/16 and stuck with Yokohama Avid H4 or V4. Jon.

are 16x7 the actual Solara 16's? or is this just some other rim? and by traditional alignment machine? what is traditional? The place I go to, uses lasers and the car is lifted from the ground... but not on hydraulic jacks. Anyways, how do you know it's too wide for the wheel? does it bulge out or something?

crispone wrote:When you apply that wide a tire on a rim that MIGHT pinch it on, but is not really designed to wear that profile, you will actually effect your contact patch NEGATIVELY from wearing a size or two narrower... I have been through this first hand, and have ofter PINCHED a tire to it's limit, and the outside portion of the tread gets "curled around" into an arc, causing issues in traction, and wear on the tire. You can end up forcing the CENTER portion of the tread to "bow out" and wear much more rapidly then the edges, not to mention the tread-cupping that can make them noisy and effect their ability to perform well.

Usual rule of thumb is, UP ONE SIZE is not an issue... (based on a combined width/sidewall change to keep consistent overall diameter...) potentially TWO SIZES. If you are looking at something MORE than that... (even the TWO SIZE option), you should DEFINITELY tread lightly before jumping in with the change. (i.e.: TRY a tire of such profile. Also, not EVERY TIRE will fit exactly the same for any given profile...)

Just some thoughts...

wow, that first paragraph, I gotta admit, I had to read maybe twice to understand it. But in your 2nd paragraph, you said up one size is not an issue, keeping consistent overall diameter, just changing width and sidewall. So basically... 225/55-16 IS okay then? it's very similar in overall outside diameter, so it's the next size up in performance I suppose.
funboy102
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby LatinDragonXJC » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:13 pm

I asked the same question earlier this week, because I was having the same dilemma. I'm in the market for new tires for the same wheels. Mine currently have 215/60/16 and that's a pretty good size, fit , handling IMO. (but from my searches........cost more). I would think 225 is over doing it on the width.

Did you paint your wheels yourself?
LatinDragonXJC
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Location: Chilltown,Jersey City, New Jersey, United States, North America, Earth, Galaxy, Aliens Belly Button

Postby campfire9 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:51 pm

I have 225/55R16 on my stock 99 rims and have had no problems. The tires I selected were the Toyo Proxes 4. They are really quiet and smooth riding. I will either go for Toyo Proxes T1-R or T1-s.

Again no problem what so ever using 225/55R16's
Without ammunition, the USAF would be just another very expensive flying club.
campfire9
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Clarity

Postby JMSinMaryland » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:56 pm

My TRD/BBS wheels are 16x7. With my 225 the sidewall sticks out far enough that if I tried to get a 'normal' alignment, i.e. 2 'heads' at the top of the wheel, 2 'heads' at the bottom of the wheel, laser, etc the metal heads would scratch the lips of my wheels from them having to jam the heads between the wheel and tire. If I got a 215 I wouldn't have this problem. I know have to find a shop that uses a special attachment that Hunter makes. These clamp onto the tire instead of the wheel. Trust me I've had 205, 215 and 225 on a stock wheel stick with a 205 or 215 max. Jon.

http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/align ... 883T-5.htm
17" Toyota Highlander Limited wheels for sale
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/g ... ed-wheels/
JMSinMaryland
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby funboy102 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:07 pm

LatinDragonXJC wrote:I asked the same question earlier this week, because I was having the same dilemma. I'm in the market for new tires for the same wheels. Mine currently have 215/60/16 and that's a pretty good size, fit , handling IMO. (but from my searches........cost more). I would think 225 is over doing it on the width.

Did you paint your wheels yourself?

Yes, I painted the wheels myself, I have a DIY somewhere on the forum...

campfire9 wrote:I have 225/55R16 on my stock 99 rims and have had no problems. The tires I selected were the Toyo Proxes 4. They are really quiet and smooth riding. I will either go for Toyo Proxes T1-R or T1-s.

Again no problem what so ever using 225/55R16's

wow... thats sounds good... two questions... 1. so you DO have the rim that's in the picture right? I found it to be 16"x6", yours is exactly the same? 2. HOw much did you get the TOyo Proxes 4 for? I got quoted for $500, parts, and labor (mounting and balance). Did you get a better deal?

JMSinMaryland wrote:My TRD/BBS wheels are 16x7. With my 225 the sidewall sticks out far enough that if I tried to get a 'normal' alignment, i.e. 2 'heads' at the top of the wheel, 2 'heads' at the bottom of the wheel, laser, etc the metal heads would scratch the lips of my wheels from them having to jam the heads between the wheel and tire. If I got a 215 I wouldn't have this problem. I know have to find a shop that uses a special attachment that Hunter makes. These clamp onto the tire instead of the wheel. Trust me I've had 205, 215 and 225 on a stock wheel stick with a 205 or 215 max. Jon.

oic, thanks... the place I take my car to to get an alignment uses a different machine, so I guess I don't have to worry bout this...
funboy102
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby crispone » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:29 pm

funboy102 wrote: wow, that first paragraph, I gotta admit, I had to read maybe twice to understand it. But in your 2nd paragraph, you said up one size is not an issue, keeping consistent overall diameter, just changing width and sidewall. So basically... 225/55-16 IS okay then? it's very similar in overall outside diameter, so it's the next size up in performance I suppose.

SORRY, just catching up a little... NO... Since the STOCKIES you mentioned were 205/60/16, then the "NEXT" or "ONE UP" size would be 215, in which case you would drop a sidewall profile of one unit as well, or: 215/55/60. This is NOT to say you CAN'T fit a 225/55/60 or possibly 225/50/60 on your rim. Your question on the 225/55/16 doesn't take the "formula" back to the same "absolute diameter" that your stockies have. Then again, "exceeding" that overall diameter, along with your increased width, may STILL clear in your application. Don't forget, however, that this "ABSOLUTE DIAMETER" may affect your speedometer, odometer, or other calculating functions within the vehicle. (mileage trip-meter, etc...)

My '89 Supra had 225/60/16's on 7.5" rims, and I wear 255/55/16's on those stock rims currently. Alot of sidewall "bulge", but I happen to like the "meaty" looking rubber, despite "sleeper" stock rims. It is also nice that they "cleared" despite an complete HKS spring/strut drop kit. While I'm thinking of it, here's a shot of the rubber in that example:

NOTE: This setup of TWO UP with only ONE SIDEWALL reduction made the rubber a different ABSOLUTE DIAMETER... but it works anyway... HOWEVER, my TIREWEAR is excessive on the MIDDLE, ESPECIALLY on the REARS, (but most of that is from spinning "elliptical" from the intense centrifugal forces from acceleration... :D ) and a properly "spread" tire on a wider rim makes a BIG difference in traction and footprint. On my Solara, I went from a 225/55/17" on my stock 7" rims to the same rubber on 8" rims and the GRIP and HANDLING improvement was quite surprising. I won't be "pinching" tires as much anymore... wider rims is the way to wear wider rubber well. IMHO

-crisp :evilbat: :drinking:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby funboy102 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:23 am

thanks for the reply Crisp... but to help your and my argument, check this calculator out, http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html , you input your stock OEM tires, then you put in new sizes, it'll tell you how it affects the "absolute diameter" as yout put it. That's why I thought 225/55-16 would be the next size up.
funboy102
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5