[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - CEL- Code PO446
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

CEL- Code PO446

Postby WTF?? » Thu May 18, 2006 10:10 pm

Ive replaced my gas cap ($20 delaer) and it solved the problem

the seal on my old one was going bad
Retired... its been fun Image
WTF??
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby Coconut » Fri May 19, 2006 11:08 am

WTF?? wrote:Ive replaced my gas cap ($20 delaer) and it solved the problem

the seal on my old one was going bad

Were you also getting the same code? The reason I am asking is, I have an aftermarket gas cap and it's likely to be causing this code to show up.

Is it true that if you drive for 1+ year(s) with faulty O2 sensors, the canistor would go out?
Coconut
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Solorange » Fri May 19, 2006 1:35 pm

Yeah I checked my seal and it was good. Code PO441 goes off for the gas cap. I would replace your gas cap because there is a built in two-way vavle. Its a safety device that bleeds off fuel vapors if the EVAP systm fails. I wouldnt be too sure if your aftermarket cap has this.
1999 Toyota Solara SEV6 5speed
2009 Toyota Highlander Sport
2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby WTF?? » Sat May 20, 2006 10:39 am

^theres gas cap testers out there at smog stations. they tested the pressure of my original gas cap and it failed the first test, but the 2nd test passed... so im like the hell with it and got a new one... p0446

honestly i dont think you can tell much just by looking at the seal.... u also gotta consider the resistance when you put the gas cap on and how hard it clicks... mine felt like it was slipping compared to another camry gas cap i closed
Retired... its been fun Image
WTF??

Postby Solorange » Mon May 22, 2006 1:51 pm

Hmmm... I guess im gonna have to mess with that too.
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby boxedoutsolara » Thu May 25, 2006 9:43 am

hey i have the same 2 codes, and i have one that says insufficient egr flow.
the guy i bought it off told me that it was a common problem and it was the canister. He said hes going to fix it for me but is busy whenever i call him to bring my car down. I'm glad you wrote that it stinks when you get on the gas because i have that same problem and wasnt sure if it was related or not

Does your car idol rough sometimes? mostly after driving for a long time i dont know if that is related to the problem as well
99 Solara SE
boxedoutsolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Dutch Master » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:55 pm

did you get the fix done?

Mine has been smelling lately too...now this week the CEL came on...gonna check Autozone to see whats up...Some other guy once told me the same thing about the gas cap.....Good thing to know..
DM Records

myspace.com/dutchmasterrecords
Dutch Master
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Solorange » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:52 pm

Actually everything fixed itself and it doesnt stink anymore either. Im pretty sure the gas cap was loose. I would try replacing the gas cap gasket first. Give the CEL a couple weeks to go off. Driving on it wont hurt the car. If not then it may be your Charcoal Canister. And I ended up buying one which I never used. So if you need it I will sell it to you.
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ozone » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:54 am

I have the PO446 code. I have the Toyota books (all 3 and very expensive) on my wife's Solara (99 V6, 5 speed) and I began the diagnosis procedure listed therein. But it was getting dark so I stopped. Then I read this post and contacted Toyota about the "8 year unlimited mileage goodwill warranty." They said it was 3 years 36K miles. No goodwill warranty. They also said that the problem was NOT with the cannister, but with the VSV on the canister which is a separate part and costs about $63.00.

I will verify this when my wife brings the car back from a trip and report back on what I find. But they said it wasn't covered.

I had already replaced the gas cap. No luck there.

And just an aside, ALL gas caps should have a vent to keep the tank from being damaged due to temp/press changes. Although it is conceivable that an aftermarket cap won't have one, I think it is very unlikely.
ozone
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Previous

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5