[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Changing the fuel filter
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Changing the fuel filter

Changing the fuel filter

Postby krazeee1707 » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:07 pm

I went to the dealership to buy a fuel filter. The guy said that I'd be better off using a fuel with detergent in it. He says that sometimes when you change the filter, it strips the fuel line. I know I've done it before on my 92 camry V6 and it did strip. Kinda sucked. But I also did it at 165,000 miles and it was never changed before that. What do you guys think? And for all those who have changed it, did you guys have any problems??
krazeee1707
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Re: Changing the fuel filter

Postby Flipside909 » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:16 pm

krazeee1707 wrote:I went to the dealership to buy a fuel filter. The guy said that I'd be better off using a fuel with detergent in it. He says that sometimes when you change the filter, it strips the fuel line. I know I've done it before on my 92 camry V6 and it did strip. Kinda sucked. But I also did it at 165,000 miles and it was never changed before that. What do you guys think? And for all those who have changed it, did you guys have any problems??

All fuels have detergent (EPA regulation) since a couple years back. What guy told you this bs? It's best to change out the fuel filter regularly because it becomes blocked with particulates and sediment. Didn't this guy forget to tell you that too much fuel additives damage the diapragm of your fuel pump...and in turn costs you more money in the long run? Probably not.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Yanks0114 » Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:02 pm

When should i start worrying about changing my fuel filter, i have 23,000 miles
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Flipside909 » Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:07 pm

yanks0114 wrote:When should i start worrying about changing my fuel filter, i have 23,000 miles

Anytime after 60k is fine.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby nkx1 » Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:27 pm

When's a good time (mileage) to change the fuel filter? Also, where is it located and it it difficult to change?

The one on my old integra was so easy to change. It was right on upper middle firewall. Just popped the old one out and the new one in in about 20min.

Thanks!
2001 SLE, Diamond White Pearl
nkx1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ICUFG » Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:45 pm

You can strip the head of the bolt make sure you use a good wrench, I usually use an air gun with a 1/2 inch socket. I dont know if you can get to it with an air gun but thats what I had to use on my old Eclipse(god rest her soul).
ICUFG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Cyanide41 » Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:11 pm

yanks0114 wrote:When should i start worrying about changing my fuel filter, i have 23,000 miles

Toyota says 100k. I tried doing mine at about 63k. As you notice I said TRIED. That thing is a pain!!!!!!!!!! After me and my friend gave up trying to break the bottom nut, I tried taking it to jiffy lub around the corner. They couldn't get it to go either. That's when I called toyota and they said "You need to change it at 100k"

The filter of on the Driverside fender well way down on the bottom. I suggest using flare nut wrenches. Toget the incoming hose off you have to do it from under the car. The suspension makes it hard to get really good leverage. (This is for a solara)

By the way Ryan.....Broke 71k today.
JAMES
SC3 Member

To find out how you can own this solara, send an e-mail slvrstreamsolara@aol.com
Cyanide41
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Slipstream » Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:32 pm

It's too hard to do it. You need a flare nut wrench and some major elbow grease. change it at 60k.
Slipstream
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby LS1_Disciple » Wed Dec 04, 2002 4:16 pm

Slipstream wrote:It's too hard to do it. You need a flare nut wrench and some major elbow grease. change it at 60k.

Well, it'll be just as hard to do it as 60k, so that doesn't really help much. Does anyone know what size flare nut wrench? After fighting with the thing for about 2 hours, I gave up. I only had US wrenches, so I imagine this takes stupid metric. VERY hard to get leverage - whoever said that was right on.

Also, something else I found out the same day: the automatic trans and differential are hooked together. This means once they're both drained all you have to do is fill up the trans. I only say that in the attempt to help someone out, since the Toyota dealership didn't know either.
2001 SLE V6
LS1_Disciple
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ICUFG » Wed Dec 04, 2002 4:19 pm

I would never use Standard wrenches while working on a Toyota! You are asking for trouble.
ICUFG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby LS1_Disciple » Wed Dec 04, 2002 4:50 pm

Well, that may have been a little misleading. I only had US flare nut wrenches, which didn't work at all so I didn't mess with them long. I tried metric box end wrenches, vise-grips, channel locks, pliers, sledge hammers, blow torches, and small children. Nothing worked, so I assume the only way is to use a metric flare nut wrench. But what size? And I still don't know about the leverage thing - mine seemed like it was welded on.
2001 SLE V6
LS1_Disciple
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ericatdallas » Wed Dec 04, 2002 11:54 pm

yeah, doping good gas is like doping good oil.. it's debateable whether it's any better and not necessary. <see "Change Oil" Thread>

Besides, the filters (in general) handles contaminants that a lot of times detergents can't.

There is one instance where I've heard that it has worked. My art teacher said that the mechanic told her not to do the recommended repairs but to use a $20 bottle of fuel additive because she had water in her tank. She said she brought it back and he said her car was okay. I don't know the full story and I'm not really sure if the additive did it.

However, in general, the gas out of the station is good enough and changing fuel filter in recommended intervals is a good idea.

I would take the advice of the engineers and people who designed it over Joe mechanic's recommendation.

I notice a lot of people ask if it's okay to do this or that or not to do this and that but the recommendations Toyota releases are conservative and as long as you do the recommended maintenance with the recommended parts you won't go wrong.
2000 Solara SLE V6 - Green w/ Beige Interior
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Slipstream » Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:30 pm

I meant pay the usual $45 to have it done. It's worth it as the price you pay for a set of flared wrenches would be almost the same
Slipstream
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ICUFG » Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:42 pm

Its worth paying 45 bucks!
ICUFG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Change fuel filter

Postby Solar » Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:08 pm

I broke my fuel line from changing it...had to tow it to Toyota to replace the whole thing...cost me $550. I would never change it again unless someone know how.
Solar

Next

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5